April 26, 2024, 10:51:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Don't know what to expect but want to be prepared

Started by jill, November 21, 2010, 07:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jill

Laurie, you are so funny, I will definitely think of you on Boxing Day!!!

LaurieS

Sad part.. I was serious :)   Now what happens if you are like me and don't have servants? 

LaurieS

Came across this:
Despite its name, Boxing Day, which is celebrated on December 26 in Great Britain, has nothing to do with pugilistic competition. Nor is it a day for people to return unwanted Christmas presents. While the exact origins of the holiday are obscure, it is likely that Boxing Day began in England during the Middle Ages.

Some historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes.
Church Alms Boxes

Another theory is that the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited coins for the poor were opened and the contents distributed on December 26, which is also the Feast of St. Stephen.

As time went by, Boxing Day gift giving expanded to include those who had rendered a service during the previous year. This tradition survives today as people give presents to tradesmen, mail carriers, doormen, porters, and others who have helped them.
The Day after Christmas

Boxing Day is December 26, the day after Christmas, and is celebrated in Great Britain and in most areas settled by the English (the U.S. is the major exception), including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand

luise.volta

Well, at least we all know today what the Rich and Famous do with all the stuff they get for Christmas that they don't want!

Here's a fun one for you:

Shrek, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Lopez were all having lunch together. Shrek said, 'I have always thought that
I'm the strongest man in the world, but how can I be sure? Brad Pitt said, 'I'm pretty sure I'm the hottest man alive but I've never had it confirmed.' Jennifer Lopez agreed. 'I'm told I'm the sexiest of them all, but sometimes I wonder.'

They all decided that the best way to find out if their beliefs were true was to approach the wicked Queen's mirror to confirm for them whether Shrek was the strongest, Brad Pitt was the hottest and Jennifer Lopez was the sexiest. They agreed to meet again the next day for lunch to discuss their findings.

The next day Shrek walked up with a smile. 'Well, it's true. The mirror told me that I am the strongest man in the world!' Brad Pitt followed and boasted it is true, it has been confirmed that I am the Hottest Man alive!! 

Jennifer Lopez walked in, head bent, pissed off, almost with tears in her eyes and asked, "Who the heck is "Luise Volta?" 
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Love it! Luise beat out JLo!

....and Luise used the "p" word!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Naw...I just copied and pasted it! LOL!

I actually have a rather colorful vocabulary but I have seen on other sites that if you don't use caution, it can get pretty offensive for those who aren't so "colorful." 

LaurieS

If yours is "colorful" then mine must be a considered a neon rainbow.  That J-Lo she has nothing on us.... ok, maybe she does.. can you please pass that mirror over to me now?

luise.volta

I like "colorful" so much better than "raunchy!"

How was your event?

LaurieS

We had such a good time at the neighborhood Meet & Greet... attendance was somewhere between 60 and 70 and I was thrilled to see that my house could accommodate such large group.  Of course the weather was nice so people were also on the back porch and around the pool area where I had seating available.

When the association originally approached me about this, it was explained that they like to use one of the newer community members homes, and it was nice to hear how many people had watched the construction process, and were pleased with the final outcome.  We had sooooo many vegetable trays, I think the first 10 coming in brought veggies... there were so many carrots, celery, green peppers etc left over that I took a pot roast out immediately following the party and that is what I cooked last night.  I realized that had we done this even closer to Christmas, I could almost get out of my holiday baking :) 

We'll have another group here on the 27th when my AF son gets back from his and dil's cruise, this will be our goodbye before he is deployed again.  I am now quite at ease concerning fitting all of these people in without feeling like you're tripping over each other.  This next group I believe is 17 people and 5 dogs. (I'm requesting bring your own pillow and crate) biggest difference is most of these will be sleeping here as well.

All I have left to do today is to run a mop (with vinegar of course) over the tile floor and then all reminisces of the party are gone.  Not even a spilled drink did I fine.. what a good group of neighbors.

luise.volta

Wonderful recap! Thanks! What a win!

I had four people here yesterday and two had to stand on the porch.  ;D ;D

LaurieS

luise.volta

Oh, aren't they darling?! I have 481 sq. ft. One large room with a hide-a-bed...a one-sided kitchen with a single sink and 4 ft.of counter and a little dressing room/bath.

Have you seen these houses made of recycled materials?:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_phillips_creative_houses_from_reclaimed_stuff.html

LaurieS

December 06, 2010, 10:23:08 AM #57 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:55:16 AM by Laurie
That was extremely interesting Luise, thanks for sharing.  Now I even feel guilty about building this house :)

luise.volta