March 28, 2024, 09:34:17 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Why do I feel this way?

Started by Barbie, September 09, 2010, 09:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbie

You're absolutely right Pen. Boy did that hurt! DS and I talk on the phone every single day and he never mentioned it to me. Him and I shared so much and now his MIL knows more about him than I do.
Anyway, I think it's great that they did this. The thought never occured to DH and I when we were young, we never thought anything would happen to us.
I'd like to ask those of you who have done this, is this done by a lawyer or is it just a notorized piece of paper?

1Glitterati

September 11, 2010, 09:24:36 AM #16 Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:26:08 AM by 1Glitterati
Quote from: guest1 on September 11, 2010, 05:52:28 AM
You're absolutely right Pen. Boy did that hurt! DS and I talk on the phone every single day and he never mentioned it to me. Him and I shared so much and now his MIL knows more about him than I do.
Anyway, I think it's great that they did this. The thought never occured to DH and I when we were young, we never thought anything would happen to us.
I'd like to ask those of you who have done this, is this done by a lawyer or is it just a notorized piece of paper?

Guest...it's in our wills.  We also named a different person as trustee for the money--not either sets of parents or family, either.  That way no one could ever accuse the guardians of helping themselves to the childrens' money or assets.

My parents know.  They know because at one point my brother was the guardian when we just had ods.  Then he got married.  I didn't like her and I didn't think she would treat my child well.  That's when we picked someone else.  Interestingly enough, now that I think about it, I've never informed my brother.  At the time, I didn't want to cause any hard feelings in his marriage, so I didn't say anything.  He's divorced now...but we're semi-estranged, so he'd have to be plumb, dumb stupid to think he was their guardian.

Dh's parents...I don't know if they know.  If they know, it's because he's told them.  If he wants them to know, he'll tell them.  If he doesn't tell them, then he doesn't want them to know.