March 28, 2024, 03:51:22 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Take a moment

Started by Pen, December 22, 2012, 07:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

This holiday finds Pen & family doing OK on the DS/DIL front...we'll see them on The Day, and I'm grateful for that. I'm working on not comparing my situation with many of my friends who get more time and jolly togetherness w/their brood, and I'm actually enjoying these days with just DH. What a change from a couple of years ago!

However, it's an emotional time of year for many reasons...recent devastating events, the stress and overload of commercial stimuli, expectations we put on ourselves, baggage from the past, etc. My heart breaks for those who are struggling this year.

We must be kind to ourselves. We must find a moment in the day to be gentle, loving and accepting of ourselves with all our lumps, bumps, and bruises. It could be a moment of reflection or something more tangible like enjoying a cup of tea or getting a manicure. We've been through a lot, many of us...we'll likely go through a bit more before we're done. We need to give ourselves a hug.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Yes, Pen! Hugging me fiercely and all of you, too!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

JaneF