March 28, 2024, 01:14:42 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Cyber Baby Shower

Started by Elise, November 03, 2012, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elise

I am lucky and grateful because tomorrow I am hostessing a baby shower for my first grandchild. I am having lots of fun cooking and decorating my house and setting up games for my friends. Although the actual shower will be taking place 1500 miles away, we will tune in via a web conference service through the computer - a cyber shower. We will get to see my DS and DIL open their presents with their friends and dil family - there better be a 'mute' button, my friends and I get a little loud when we get excited!!! I am grateful I get to mark my own transition into this new role with this cultural ritual, updated for the situation and times.

forever spring

Elise, that's just wonderful. Celebration is the core of life. Trust you had lots of fun. Congratulations for becoming a grandmother for the first time!  :)

luise.volta

E - I split this topic  because I thought it was so touching. When I was pregnant in 1947 with my first, this was done by mail! LOL! My sister contacted everyone and they had a party. They took pictures, had them developed and sent all of the gifts, still wrapped, to me in a big box. What a difference six and a half decades make!  8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Elise

That was sweet Louise, thank you.  Reporting in to let you know the shower was lots of fun, very noisy, and we felt like we were there with them.  My ds and dil looked very happy and I could feel ds was very in tune with me over the distance. It was fun to see them with their friends and where they live, even though they forgot to give us a tour of the nursery with the web cam. The theme on both sides of the screen was blueberries, since my ds and dil and I  and who knows who else calls the baby 'blueberry' - cuz they are delicious and it was the first analogy I heard of the baby's size months ago. I like making something of nothing much, and the decoration hit of both parties was my pacifiers made from balloons - an oblong one filed with helium for the top part, a narrow one wound around below that and another different color one long narrow one curved to make the handle. Got the idea off the internet. Food was good, friends the best, and now I have a whole new slew of wonderful photographs of feeling, mirrored on my mind. A great day and I am filled with gratitude.

luise.volta

Reading that made me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing it with us, E.!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

nikncon

Dear E.What a great idea!I may have to steal it if I become a grandma some day  and can't attend the shower.Sounds like you had a great time . And you  were  there to share this precious moment.I'm sure that there will be many more soon..Isn't technology awsome??? ;)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter