March 28, 2024, 12:52:38 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Perfect Mother-in-Law

Started by kathleen, April 30, 2010, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathleen

You all have gotten me so interested in this subject of MIL's that I've been checking elsewhere on the Internet.  Today I found this from the Oprah web site, following the question, what is the perfect mother-in-law?

Do you see how negatively this starts out?  As if having a mother-in-law as a PERSON (not a LABEL) is almost unheard of, particularly a good person?

The point here that we as mother-in-laws raised the sons these DILs love is so well-taken.  The sons/husbands are great and the MIL's are awful?
Hmmmm.  Somebody is missing the connection!  Or maybe when the son turns out well it's 100% the result of the father?

Anyway, it's nice to see just one DIL report that her MIL is a good person.  Maybe there's hope yet for the future.  I copied and pasted the message below exactly.  And now that I think of it, who is the perfect daughter-in-law? 

Kathleen

"I know that your'e not gonna believe this, but my Mother In Law is truly my best friend. I know it sounds nuts but it is true. She is the kindest, most thoughtful, caring, talented, and unselfish person that I have ever met. Ever since we met, things just clicked. I have always been able to tell her anything and everything. Because of what a wonderful person she is, I have been given a totally sweetheart of a husband. I have been truly blessed. We have lived next door to my in laws for 16 years, & they are moving next week. It will be so weird with them gone...She taught me how to love my Mom unconditionally. That is something that I will always admire about her. Her ablility to think about others first. I will miss her so much. So when I hear about all of the "Monster In Law" stories, I feel so very lucky that I was given an Angel instead of one of those."  Oprah.com Message Board   :)

Pen

That was refreshing. I do get tired of the MIL-bashing, the jokes, the stereotypes & the labels. IMHO, part of it is predjudice against women, especially aging women. We don't respect "the white hairs" anymore. That's a term of endearment in some cultures!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Hope

Thanks, Kathleen.  You bring interesting things to the fore front here.  I found WWU while looking for topics on the internet on how to be a great mother-in-law.  If anyone finds anything else on how to be a great mil or if our dil's could help us out, I would very much appreciate it.   

I know there are both hard-to-get-along-with mils and dils - it's not the title, but the personality.  If you are a difficult dil, imho you are likely to be a difficult mil.  One thing I have thought about is that mils in most cases have been dils and can see it from both sides - plus they have years of experience.  I think patience also comes with aging.  Aren't we wonderful?   ;)  Well, at least the mil's on this site?
Love and hugs, Hope