March 28, 2024, 11:52:19 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Homorary Awards

Started by luise.volta, March 08, 2010, 07:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Coco - Do you want to take a shot at explaining that?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Orly

March 12, 2010, 10:08:57 PM #16 Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:12:32 PM by Orly
I'll jump in Luise, since those pesky "karma" points are making me walk funny.

MomX3,
All the karma points are, are when the other ladies either "agree with" or "disagree with" your post.   The thumbs up or down notations under other poster's name.  You can click either one if you like/dislike a particular post.  You can only do that once an hour. 

cocobars

March 13, 2010, 04:37:14 AM #17 Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:20:07 AM by cocobars
Thanks Orly, I don't know how I missed this entire page when I read it, but I replied and then saw that it came in on the second page.  Orly is right;

Your karma numbers are related to the number of "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" people click next to your posts.  When someone clicks on "thumbs up" it gives you plus points.  When they click on "thumbs down" it gives you negative points.  You can give as many different people a "thumbs up" as you want, but no more than one per hour, per person.

I only use the "thumbs up," but that's just me.  I believe we have all been through too much to click the "thumbs down" and it seems like it's negative all the way around to me.  Sometimes I have mis-read what someone means and may not agree with their opinion, but it's their opinion and I just don't believe the "thumbs down" is supportive to women who are already going through so much.  I believe the "thumbs up" is encouraging and supportive.  That's the only reason I never click "thumbs down."  I'm here to support, and if I don't agree, then I don't believe it's productive to give someone a negative just because my opinion is different.  I hope this helps you.

luise.volta

Thanks, your guys: well done. As you can see, I am the Queen of Minus Points. I think the Moderator should be exempt, since I have a job here and it often involves controversy. Half of my minus points came from one person. Ouch!  >:(

cocobars

You shouldn't have any at all.  I agree!  I wish we could erase those altogether.  Thumbs up or nothing! 

luise.volta

Well, we can, actually. I did that once when a valued member suffered a minus karma attack. Poof!!! Maybe, on out one year anniversary?  :) I guess it really doesn't matter. Every group has to have it's "terminator."  >:(  ;D

Pen

About the levels of membership, I'm not very competitive, so it really doesn't matter to me, but it's probably helpful for newbies to know how long other posters have been around.

I agree with Coco and Luise, I'm not a fan of minus points either. Until we can get rid of them, maybe we should look at them in a different way. A ski instuctor years ago told me "If you're not falling, you're not learning." Maybe we can paraphrase that: If you don't have any minus points you're not teaching (something like that.) Like the fly in the soup joke, we'll all want them! :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Orly

OH my gosh.....Stop slapping me with those karmic points!   LOL....two more just today...I'm going to be limping bad in no time, then lisping....gaaah!

luise.volta

Regarding the ski instructor, I think there's some sense to that. I have heard people say that in a hospital, if the Director of Nursing is popular and well-liked, she needs to be fired for not doing her job!  ;D

cocobars

Speaking of points and posts, um,  Luise?  I was just looking...
;D
Someone's getting ready to break 1000 posts!
;D

luise.volta

momX3

Thanks to all of you for explaining the Karma points.
I appreciate everyone's help.