March 28, 2024, 03:53:28 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Good News

Started by cremebrulee, March 11, 2010, 06:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

March 11, 2010, 06:02:30 AM Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:16:31 AM by cremebrulee
As some of you may know after a long discussion with my son last Sat. I wrote my DIL a letter..  In that letter, I explained to her many things...but also took ownership for my misgivings, and told her of my fears, anger, hurt and why. 

I explained to her that I thought if we sat down and discussed this, we might be surprised to find, that both of us, took each other wrong.

Well, last night to my surprise, the phone rang and it was my DIL...She was so nice, mature, straight to the point, understanding, forgiving and as we shared stories I was horrified to find out what I had done that upset her...I kept thinking to myself, How Dare YOU!!!!! 

We had a very nice conversation, and I'm so ashamed, embarrassed and completely sorry I thought those things about her...what I thought about her, she thought about me, and she told me....Creme, I don't even know you and I want to, and I want a family with you....

Then she put my GD on the phone, and when it was all over, I felt and still do feel, like it's a surreal event...however, I must share with y ou MIL's how I feel....

When our son's get married, change happens...things will never be what they were any longer and we must understand, our son's are now with another woman, whom he loves dearly...they are ready to start they're own housekeeping and family and traditions...we no longer can expect them to be and agree with who we want them to be.  I'm sharing this with all of you, b/c there were times when I didn't take ownership, refused to believe that I could have done or said anything wrong that hurt my DIL...well, I have a shock for you, I did, and when she started sharing things with me, I was horrified by my behavior...

What goes on between my son and DIL is none of my business, what is my business is, that they are so much in love with each other and I caused them much heartache and pain...putting such a strain on they're marriage in the beginning they went to couseling...

My DIL and I were both wrong about each other...both of us, and in most cases as ours, not all but most, it does take two. 

there were times when I would post on the DIL forums and they tried to tell me I was wrong and to look at things from her perspective...at that time I wasn't able to, as I was certain I did nothing wrong...however, I did plenty wrong, and I said awful things about my DIL out of anger, hurt and premisconceptions....

While I'm so very very happy that she is who she is....and that my son is married to her, I will tell you straight forward...I had no right what so ever, thinking the things I thought without talking to her....about things first.

so we made a pac with each other to promise to share with each other, from now on, what hurts or offends each other...and the past is over with, done....can't change anything, but what we can do is go forward in a new light, and I thank God for this awakening...however, I'm so so sorry my DIL thought I hated her all these years...I'm so sorry I lost all this time with her...and sorry, that I was so stubborn and selfish to think that I didn't have any ownership in this....I was so very wrong...

So, today is a new beginning...we'll take it slow, I give her lead, and we move on from here...but I cannot imagine how happy this is going to make my son, her and my GD....she said to me, do you realize how much we're all missing out....it was shocking to me to hear, that she felt not only the same way that I did, but was just as hurt as I was....

I hope in some small way....we can all realize, kindness, understanding, patience and waking up, goes a long way.  I was so asleep, so used to doing things my own way, and didn't once consider, that she had her own ideas and ways of doing things...I assumed they wanted me to do things...to help them....and what happened between us, was all literally, misconceptions, and an inability to view how she might have felt...and thought about all of this...

I'm sure now, she feared me as much as I feared her...and cannot imagine what she went thrum each time I was coming to visit....

and by the way, what they did with they're lives and continue doing in none of my business...it's they're life, they're turn and right for them...

I said horrible things b/c I was so hurt, felt so rejected, and it was so wrong...I convinced myself this poor woman was trying to push me out of they're lives and she wasn't...that is what happens when two people don't communicate they're thoughts...we assume, and things get all out of porportion....

so, I hope some of you can learn from my experiences, and I will continue to share...but you know....once I finally decided to take ownership and say to myself..."hey, yanno, maybe you did do things that upset and hurt her, not to mention, intruded in her privacy, and overstepping boundaries, things started turning around.  I commend her for calling, never thought she would...I was wrong about her all the way around...like my son says, she is a good person...she listened, she understood and is willing to go forward...which speaks volumns about how utterly wrong I was and I'm so so sorry for....she was so kind to me last night, so patient, and contributed to the conversation...and I found out, she was just being who she is....nothing was meant as a personal attack against me...

Sheeesh, I'm still in a state of shock but vow, I will never hurt that woman again...and now understand....

She is a good wife and a good mother, like my son always says...and from now on, I'm going to remember all the mistakes I made, before I critize anyone....

thank you, to all of you, for helping to wake me up, and I also want to thank the DIL's for helping me to see....there were times I wouldn't listen, and they were all wrapped up in they're own problems with they're own MIL's and couldn't see my point of view....I undertsand that now and am grateful to them for being so brave....we all need each other, otherwise, it ain't never going to work, as long as we're divided....

Hugs and luv
Creme

Barbie

March 11, 2010, 06:19:21 AM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:30:35 AM by guest1
Creme, this is wonderful news. I'm elated for you. I hope this marks a new beginning. What you say is so true, it's not easy to digest but that's the way it is. I had a very hard time letting go and thought/think my dil wasn't/isn't good enough for my son but deep down I know I can't choose who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. My parents were not thrilled with my husband at first as I was their little princess, noone was good enough for me and he turned out to be a wonderful husband and father.
If you don't mind me asking, how long has it been since the two of you talked?

2chickiebaby

That is wonderful and very blessed news, Creme.  I'm so glad you wrote her and so glad she accepted your part and you hers.  Many blessings ahead :)

cremebrulee

Quote from: guest1 on March 11, 2010, 06:19:21 AM
Creme, this is wonderful news. I'm elated for you. I hope this marks a new beginning. What you say is so true, it's not easy to digest but that's the way it is. I had a very hard time letting go and thought/think my dil wasn't/isn't good enough for my son but deep down I know I can't choose who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. My parents were not thrilled with my husband at first as I was their little princess, noone was good enough for me and he turned out to be a wonderful husband and father.
If you don't mind me asking, how long has it been since the two of you talked?

oh, I think almost 4 or 5 years...

but this is a new beginning, and I only wish this for everyone...I do....

cremebrulee

Quote from: 2chickiebaby on March 11, 2010, 06:48:17 AM
That is wonderful and very blessed news, Creme.  I'm so glad you wrote her and so glad she accepted your part and you hers.  Many blessings ahead :)

thank you Chickie, I'm still in shock...her calling me speaks volumns about what kind of person she is....not at all like I thought, she was very brave and kindhearted to do so....

isitme?

Creme, I haven't posted on here in a while but I've been here.. I'm SO happy to hear this story!!!!!!!  It makes me so glad that your DIL and you were able to have this discussion and that you feel like you might be on your way to a better relationship with you son, DIL and grandchildren.  Hooray!!!!!!!

Pen

Creme, thank you for sharing your wonderful news! You're the trailblazer for a lot of us who are perhaps too afraid or too overwhelmed to take this step. I'm considering approaching my DIL to clear up what I now think are just misconceptions about each other based on faulty communication. I'm willing to listen to what she has to say about my responsibility in all this. Now I need to "woman up" and take the next step. Thanks, Creme!

PS: Note that I said "considering." I'm not very brave when it comes to this stuff, and I'm not sure how to approach it. I really need to make certain I can live with the consequences if it blows up in my face. But, Creme's post gives me so much hope!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Marilyn

Creme,I cant tell you how happy i am for you :) :) :)The tears of joy,rolling down my face!!!
You faced your fear,was ready to deal with what ever out come there was.
I'm so glad you took the risk,of reaching out to her.What wonderful,wonderful news.

You do have a very good spirited DIL,and now all of you will have one big happy family.

I'm so proud of you Creme,that took a lot of courage.But what an awesome outcome!!!!

Sending you my blessings,and one big hug

cremebrulee

Quote from: isitme? on March 11, 2010, 06:54:08 AM
Creme, I haven't posted on here in a while but I've been here.. I'm SO happy to hear this story!!!!!!!  It makes me so glad that your DIL and you were able to have this discussion and that you feel like you might be on your way to a better relationship with you son, DIL and grandchildren.  Hooray!!!!!!!

I have missed you enormously and your input...please be a part of us....

thanks so much...I cannot tell you the relief, and the instant gratitude for my DIL's bravery...
can you imagine the pressue this takes off of all of us...it's a new beginning, and I vow to follow her lead, I never ever want to cause them problems...

cremebrulee

Quote from: Mominwaiting on March 11, 2010, 07:33:47 AM
Creme,I cant tell you how happy i am for you :) :) :)The tears of joy,rolling down my face!!!
You faced your fear,was ready to deal with what ever out come there was.
I'm so glad you took the risk,of reaching out to her.What wonderful,wonderful news.

You do have a very good spirited DIL,and now all of you will have one big happy family.

I'm so proud of you Creme,that took a lot of courage.But what an awesome outcome!!!!

Sending you my blessings,and one big hug

thanks so much and big hugs right back at cha....thank you

cremebrulee

Quote from: penstamen on March 11, 2010, 07:03:27 AM
Creme, thank you for sharing your wonderful news! You're the trailblazer for a lot of us who are perhaps too afraid or too overwhelmed to take this step. I'm considering approaching my DIL to clear up what I now think are just misconceptions about each other based on faulty communication. I'm willing to listen to what she has to say about my responsibility in all this. Now I need to "woman up" and take the next step. Thanks, Creme!

PS: Note that I said "considering." I'm not very brave when it comes to this stuff, and I'm not sure how to approach it. I really need to make certain I can live with the consequences if it blows up in my face. But, Creme's post gives me so much hope!

thanks Pen
Yanno, when I started letting go of the anger and hurt and realizing that I had to take ownership in this, realizing, that my DIL was a Human Being and her feelings must be hurt just as much as mine if not more...I began to realize, maybe we had a chance....plus I had nothing to loose...
I didn't point fingers and say, you did this or that...I told her, where I feel MIL's make mistakes, and she felt comfortable telling me what she thought I did wrong...and when they tell you, you cannot get defensive but more so, put yourself in her postion, and disconnect from all anger....if you are a person who can admit your wrongs, to yourself and others, then it won't be a problem, unless she is unwilling, however, if she is, doesn't mean that down the road she will, just remember, you DIL is just as afraid of you, as you are of her...no one likes confrontation...both must be ready to resolve and want change...it takes two....and you must be patient and not push...and once you decide to do this together, you cannot ever bring up the past, not to yourself or her, but more importantly, move forward together....

I'll keep you in my prayers...when the time is right Pen, you'll know it...I understand now, I had so much to learn, b/c years ago, I really and ignorantly believed I had done nothing wrong, and self evaluation is very hard.....

One very important thing...which I told my DIL...when our son's marry, we as mothers have to let go...we cannot go walking into our son's home and take over, b/c this home is now also her home, not just our sons...we must respect them and never give advice, not even the smallest of things, unless she asks you...and we must understand, that life as we knew it with our son's is going to change...big time...and we must accept change....and that our son's are no longer ours...but hers....and respect his love for her and give them space.  we must understand, that if they are not coming to our homes for a holiday dinner, it's not a personal attack, what it is, is where she feels most comfortable...which may even be her own home with her own husband and children and not in our home...she is eager to set up her own traditions...and we must allow them space...privacy and respect....always....
regardless of how unfair we think it is....

I'm so sorry I overstepped her rules and boundaries and tried to potty train my GD, and I'm so sorry I took it for granted that she would like it if I bathed GD and got her ready for bed...I took initiative and assumed and it was wrong of me to do....some DIL's may not care in the least, but why take the chance....

I see where some of you have said, Grand kids are to spoil...hmmm maybe, maybe not, maybe some of the things your doing is really getting under her skin, like giving them way to much sugar...which if it's one of her rules, you owe her the respect to not do so....we all need to ask our DIL's what we can and cannot do, and if we fight it and become stubborn and cop the attitude that I did...like I have a right and am entitled b/c this is my son's child, my GC, well then, that is not respecting her wishes and rules, and her rules are going to be much different from the way I grew up...there is a generation gap that must be understood...times change, so do the way things are done.

I hope, really hope and pray, I've been of some help to all of you...

Sassy

Creme when I responded to your other thread, I had not gone down and read this great news thread yet.  Wow!

Very good news!

RedRose

Creme,

That is great news...4 or 5 years is a long time. I'm glad you both have finally accepted each other back into your lives. You all have a lot of catching up to do.

Spoiling my grandchild is not something I do everyday. I have seen my dil eat chips, candy, ice cream in front of him and refuse to give him any. Watched him cry because her rules that apply to my grandchild do not apply to herself. Spoiling is only a bad thing if you overindulge.
Giving him treats and toys every so often is what I do.
He also gets a lot of love and affection from me..and he needs it!

isitme?

Quote from: cremebrulee on March 11, 2010, 08:00:43 AM
Quote from: isitme? on March 11, 2010, 06:54:08 AM

I have missed you enormously and your input...please be a part of us....

thanks so much...I cannot tell you the relief, and the instant gratitude for my DIL's bravery...
can you imagine the pressue this takes off of all of us...it's a new beginning, and I vow to follow her lead, I never ever want to cause them problems...

thanks Creme, I've missed you too! - like I said I've been reading here so I feel like I"m keeping up with all of you, even if I haven't been posting a lot.  Where I can add my two cents, I definitely will!  I'm SO happy you and your DIL have been able to reach this step.  I think you've done so much work to make this happen!

cremebrulee

Quote from: Sassy on March 11, 2010, 11:00:58 AM
Creme when I responded to your other thread, I had not gone down and read this great news thread yet.  Wow!

Very good news!

Thanks so much Sassy...and hugs