March 29, 2024, 04:45:42 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Things to do in Winter

Started by cocobars, January 11, 2010, 05:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocobars

Does anyone have any ideas about things to do together (with our families) in the winter, that are not too costly?  Some of us are on tight budgets and can't really afford to go on elaborate trips.

Please post your ideas here!

cremebrulee

1.  create an indoor picnic on the floor, rent a movie, bottle of wine, and walla?

2.  Every town has a playhouse, or one in a nearby town...go to a play or an orchastrated concert? 

3.  Museums are always fun

4.  Go for a walk in the snow or bar-b-q during a snow storm

5.  Indoor ice skating rinks or roller skating

6.  Bowling

7.  Dinner theater

8.  Every town puts on its own shows, like New York City's Broadway, take a bus trip to see a show..they get the best seats...

10.  Sports bar

11.  Take a drive to someplace by the water, go to dinner and rent a cabin....chalet....spend the weekend there with hubby....

It's nice to keep romance alive and husbands love a change of pace...plan something, tell him your taking him away for the weekend...and rent a room with a jaccuzi, by the water somewhere, take him to a nice dinner, take a bottle of wine, with 2 glasses, or champagne and strawberries.

cocobars

For children:

Sledding and hot cocoa (of course you have to have the snow to do this). 

Movies. 

Making cookies...  Make cookie dough (minus the choc chips).  Put aside bowls of candy and/or nuts to add and let the kids put what they want into the cookie dough.  That could include m&m's, choc chips, heath bar pieces, jellies, etc.  be creative.  Let the kids take them home.  They are usually very proud (and protective) of their masterpieces.  A good self-esteem builder!

Orly

Where we are, we can get in the car and go looking for the animals.   Desert elk, antelope,.... spot the white rear ends first and then see how many are in the herd. If they are pretty close to the road, antelope like listening to your radio,  open the window and they stand there listening, open your door.....whoosh... gone in a blink!   Wild horses are harder and take more looking.  Playing "spot the eagle" or osprey or hawk, is entertaining.
Going by the property of people who own llama's, this time of year the llama's are dropping their babies, they are just darn cute to watch.

Cross country skiing is pretty cheap once you have your equipment....and up here you don't have to do it at a resort....lots of Federal land to ski across.
Go to Village Inn restaurants on Wed., visit with friends over coffee and get free pie.  (Gotta buy the coffee).

Pen

You never know whether it'll be T-shirt weather or skiing weather where we live. We can visit gardens, go to the beach, go skiing, take a hike, stay inside and watch old movies or read - depending on whatever's happening. We're pretty lucky!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cocobars

These are all such great ideas!  Orly, you make me want to live in the country!  Sounds beautiful and animals are always interesting, as is nature there! 

Penstamen,  I used to live on the beach!  You make me want to do that again!  I'm not a snow person and It's an adjustment being back here.  I guess we could always pack up some "comfy's" and drive there for a day or two!  What wonderful ideas!

Pen

Oh, the beach anytime of year is my favorite place. We used to live right on the beach too, and once it gets into your soul you can't let it go. When we moved away, I'd be driving down a highway thinking the ocean would be right over that next hill, but it never was :(  Go now!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb