March 28, 2024, 01:24:14 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Help! What to get SM for Mothers Day?

Started by pam1, May 05, 2011, 06:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

I have no idea what to get my Stepmom.  She's just ok with flowers, it doesn't rock her boat or anything.  She's not a girly girl and is not into spa/mani/pedi type stuff.  She's on a diet -- so gourmet food is out.

Help!!!!  I really want to get her something nice this year and it is *Thursday* yikes. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

AnonymousDIL

What kind of diet? Could you cook a meal for her? Tilapia is very good for a diet because it tastes great, has low calories (under 100 per filet), and is a great source of protein. We just had pecan crusted tilapia last night. It's also pretty cheap and easy to make.

Scoop

Does she garden?  We usually get my Mom a gift card to the local garden center for her annuals.  Or else we'll bring a couple of bags of dirt and whatever.

I love giving consumables - so lotions & potions, fancy teas, anything that can be "used up".

pam1

We live far away from her, so cooking is out of the question.

No, she doesn't garden either.  And no lotions, perfumes or anything girly like that.  She only wears one scent and has for as long as I've known her and she has stocks of it.

She reads a lot of books but every time I've picked up a book in her genre she already has it.

Yikes

Pen

Yikes, I stopped giving my SM gifts since she'd criticize everything or return it in a box marked "Junk." But while I was still trying to buy her acknowledgement, I sent some pretty cool, non-cluttery things if I do say so myself. One year I sent a gift certificate for a website that sells every kind of sweet pea seed you could imagine, plus all the stuff needed to grow them. Another year it was a gift cert to an organic farmer's market site that is good at farms and markets all over the US. (The woman who runs the site called me personally and said, "Don't ever buy your SM another thing from us. She is a huge pain in the backside.") I'm not even sending a card. She might get a call, but probably not.

Gift certs online are instant, so if you're in a rush it's a good option; that is if SM is the least bit computer-savvy. Powells.com is an interesting book seller. That gift cert actually went over well, if I recall. Does she have a Kindle or iPad or whatever? You can give and Amazon gift cert and she can download whatever she likes.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/04/mom-healthy-mothers-day/  How about this?  LOL

Pen, ugh she's a doozy.  My SM is pretty nice we've had our issues but she's one of my biggest fans now.  She has both a kindle and ipad but doesn't like them.

Pen

Oh well. We gave SM & DF gift certs so they could load their new iPad for Christmas. SM got it so muddled she ended up ordering the hardbound books, having them shipped to us for some odd reason, and we had to ship them back to them, LOL.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

LOL Pen, I've done that before.

Ok got it, wine of the month club.  Woot Woot, thanks guys.

Pen

Oh yeah, did that one too. SM claimed to be allergic to sulfites so I ordered expensive organic wine. She blasted me for encouraging DF to drink while he's on pain meds.

But if I were your SM, Pam, I'd be all over that WOTM Club!
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnonymousDIL

How about a book entitled "How to buy a gift for the person who has everything?" LOL

pam1

OMG Pen....

LOL ADIL, she would just say "why are you getting me anything anyway?" 

Pen

Quote from: pam1 on May 05, 2011, 07:37:19 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/04/mom-healthy-mothers-day/  How about this?  LOL

For some reason I lost interest in Entourage a season or two ago, but I'd still like to meet the cast. And all for a good cause!
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

I know I am in the minority here...but I just love gift cards. Amazon, especially! Wheee!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

elsieshaye

I'm a big fan of gift cards too.  I love to shop, and using the gift card feels like such a treat.  (My son is the same way - the family have been getting him gift cards since he was little, because what he found the most fun was going around the store and finding things that added up to the amount.  It took quite a while sometimes, but he always enjoyed it.  Now they're for amazon or itunes, but he still has fun with it.)

But, I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice bottle of wine once a month!
This too shall pass.  All is well.

LaurieS

I have an amazon gift card right in front of me.. and I keep buying things and flat out paying for them and hoarding the card... I'm trying to find the special thing to buy with it, not to much fun using it on the box of coffee I was going to buy anyway