March 28, 2024, 10:25:08 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Baby Gifts

Started by LaurieS, April 28, 2011, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsieshaye

Between the crazy ex and my son's tendency to be a rebellious adrenaline junkie (and often choosing ways of expressing this that got him into school and/or legal trouble), I'm honestly pretty wrung out.  Short of sitting on him, I have zero control over what he does when he is not with me, and I really don't want to become my hyper-controlling, irrational parents either.  So I tell him where my behavioral boundaries lie, try to apply a sense of humor to the whole thing, and spend a lot of time imagining that I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalala - I can't HEEEEEAAAAARRRR you!!!!" as he tells me things I don't want to know, lol.  (I truly am grateful he's as open with me as he is, but yowza - I often wish for some blissful ignorance.)  When he turns 18, one layer of my general anxiety will be gone, because I won't have to weigh every decision with "can the ex use this to jerk me around custody-wise?", and can simply decide things based on my own sensibilities.  I admit to being an appeaser where the ex is concerned, and I'm very much looking forward to when all his teeth are pulled.  Four months, three weeks!!!
This too shall pass.  All is well.

pam1

Wow, you've got your hands full Elsie.  He sounds delightful to me lol. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Sounds like a very good kid.  I remember having to constantly walk off when my boys were doing things and just pretending they were sitting and reading a book.....yep.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

He is a good kid - very, very strongwilled and knows what he wants.  Pooh, I love your idea of walking away and pretending they're sitting quietly reading a book, lol!  I'm going to have to adopt that approach. :D
This too shall pass.  All is well.

pam1

Those are good traits :)

I've been known to pretend The Child is not mine in public at times. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Well I figure if they could pretend we were not their parents in public, then turn-a-bout is fair play.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell