April 19, 2024, 02:34:33 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Received some very scary news this afternoon

Started by BrokenHope, April 13, 2011, 08:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Ah, now I remember. I had forgotten the name. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

BrokenHope

April 15, 2011, 07:23:17 PM #16 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:16:02 PM by Pen
removed by request of  poster

cadagi101

Quote from: Laurie on April 13, 2011, 10:20:57 PM
lol.. oh I was starting at 10 ... I misread you and thought you were saying that you got between 9 and 8 .. instead of 98.. this is what happens with late night postings :)  If I started at 100 and made it to 7, we'd be questioning the anesthesiologist (I tried 20 times to spell that, thank goodness for spell check)

A hearty laugh is good for one soul, thanks again

BrokenHope

Lauire Certainly brings a smile to one`s face doesn`t she..
:)

AnonymousDIL

LaurieS

BrokenHope

April 15, 2011, 08:52:01 PM #22 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:14:34 PM by Pen
removed by request of  poster

LaurieS

I spent the day at the hospital with my fil and mil.. Dad had to have his gall bladder removed.. Surgeon comes in and says.. let me show you these photos.. well I put the brakes on that one :)  Dad cussed at the nurse because one of the monitors was beeping and by god he needs his sleep..oh and bring me more drugs.   It was a very very long day.... of course I told their son/my hubby to go to work.. I can handle this...  then the ultimate threat.. they said maybe he can get out in 2 days... he'll need help bathing.   I called his personal doctor and said look I'll do a lot but I'm not stripping my fil and helping him shower.. no way.. gag gag.. no how.    Doc asked how often I thought he needed to shower (I felt like saying everyday of course).. I said a nurse 3 days a week and I think we can manage.  Yanno, these old folks can just do you in :)

Rose799

So are they sending out a nurse?  I left the hospital the next day & don't remember even taking pain meds.  It was just a relief to have it g-o-n-e!  Good luck to you, Laurie.  Do you remember the advice you gave me a short while back?  : )

LaurieS

hmmm nope what might that be.. didn't involve shooting myself in the head did it?

Rose799

No, none of that... 

Quote from Laurie:
...an adjustment of meds helped considerably.  (My meds not hers)

My dm will go it alone as soon as the dr. releases her in another week.  (after knee replacement)  I have no idea what will happen without the nurse & therapist looking in on her. 

LaurieS

you're right.. and I will adjust my meds :) thanks for the reminder

It's so tough.. I keep thinking that one day this will be us/me  I don't want to ever outlive my usefulness but I don't want to fall over dead out of convenience either :)   

I just kept looking at his bed and thinking.. wow that looks comfortable... and all those buttons.. and I love the little speaker that you can place near your pillow to listen to the tv.. pretty cool stuff  ...  I'll do what I can, and yes against dad's will the nurse will come in  ... I had to see his hiney after his hip replacement.. lol.. I don't want to see it again.. I'll let the professionals deal with that.. thanks Rose

Rose799

It's not so easy from their vantage point either.  My dm has been independent all her life.  She's impatient & wants to get on with things...  She's been very fortunate up until recently.  She's always believed there was a pill or surgery to fix everything.  This one set her back more than she had expected.  It scares me that she'll get way in over her head one of these days. 

Yes, one day that will be us.  Luise has got me thinking ahead, before that day comes.  Haven't made any decisions, but it is important to consider the possibilities... 

How old is your fil, Laurie?  Dm's meds were a lot of the problem, especially while she was in the hospital.  She was asking for df, who passed away 20 years ago.  The dr. had them take her off the pump immediately...

LaurieS

You know as sad as that is Rose.. isn't it sweet that he is still that much a part of her life and mind.  Dad is 85, fairly good health, but when we started listing his injuries today the surgeon asked if he was a NFL player... he refuses all medications, and that is part of his problems I'm sure.. in the hospital they said that they hit him with such a huge amount of pain killer that it was affecting his oxygen level or something.. that much pain killer in him I think explains the grumpy in him.   My mil has a severe mobility problem, so she will be of little help... driving is always the biggest issue.. he can't now and mom doesn't, neither like my driving... life was easier back in the day when you could walk to the local markets.  I'll just be on the run for the next couple of weeks.... off to bed for me.. mom eats at exactly 8am.. NO flexibility in their lives :)  Night, and thanks all for the well wishes