March 28, 2024, 04:16:23 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Type "A" and type "B" personalities

Started by Pooh, September 22, 2010, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

I have let it be known that I work in 911 world.  I am actually a certified trainer, and when I am doing new dispatcher training, one of things I train on is personality types and stress.  Being a dispatcher is extremely stressful (just as all of Emergency Service areas are). I had not thought until today, about applying it here for those that like research.  So I am going to offer up some of the training I do for you guys to read.  Some of you may already know much of it, but for those that don't, it's interesting and might help.

Part 1:  Type "A" and type "B" personalities.  This requires you to be honest with yourselves about where you fit.

Type A is characterized by: 1. an intense drive to achieve one's goals 2. over-competitiveness in all areas of lives 3. constantly seeking for recognition and improvement 4. involvement in many activities at once which had deadlines to meet 5. tendency to rush things 6. astonishing physical and mental alertness.   Tend to be extroverted and see reality as it is and take responsibility. Dwell on facts and usually can separate emotion from the situation.  They deal with issues and have no problem confronting people.  They usually carry the most stress and health issues because of worrying about getting things done.

Type B people are characterized by a lack of: drive, ambition, sense of urgency, competitiveness and involvements which have deadlines.  These are the more laid-back people.  Tend to be introverted and seek outside forces to blame for their problems. Dwell on the "what ifs" and have difficulty separating emotion to see the reality.  They are more prone to internalizing their problems creating mood swings, depression, anxiety and do not like to confront problems but prefer to replay everything and blame themselves in the end.

Just type in "A" and "B" personalities on the internet, and you will find tons of articles about it.  You can have traits of both and be a mix which is good.  And like anything, there are EXTREME "A" and EXTREME "B" personalities.

Here are my results from the test.  Score 44.  You seem to be in the middle between the Type A and Type B personality. In this case, the middle ground is good. Your attitude to life is more of the "smell the roses" kind and you know how and when to relax. Nonetheless, you realize that picking up a challenge and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can add some spice to your life. The equilibrium is important, so don't let your hostile, aggressive, and competitive alter ego take over too often. Generally, you are easy to be around, and people tend to feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence. Yours is a very healthy attitude towards life.

If you are not sure which one you are, here is a link to the test that will help you figure it out.  But again, unless you are totally honest, it will do you no good.

http://discoveryhealth.queendom.com/type_a_personality_access.html

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

cremebrulee

September 22, 2010, 07:40:22 AM #1 Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:43:06 AM by cremebrulee
Here are my results

Results of Your Type A Personality Test
  Personality Type

Your score = 17   

What does your score mean?

You seem to be far from having a Type A personality. Your attitude to life is more of the "smell the roses" kind. You know how and when to relax. The hostile, aggressive and competitive part of you surfaces rarely. You are easy to be around, and people tend to feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence. It's a very healthy attitude towards life. Just make sure you don't miss important opportunities because of being too cool and relaxed. Picking up a challenge and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can add some spice to your life.

barelythere

Quote from: cremebrulee on September 22, 2010, 07:40:22 AM
Here are my results

Personality Type

Your score = 17   

You seem to be far from having a Type A personality. Your attitude to life is more of the "smell the roses" kind. You know how and when to relax. The hostile, aggressive and competitive part of you surfaces rarely. You are easy to be around, and people tend to feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence. It's a very healthy attitude towards life. Just make sure you don't miss important opportunities because of being too cool and relaxed. Picking up a challenge and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can add some spice to your life.

My Score was 58, Yikes.  I need to slow down.  Yet, type "A's" are always the Boss! 

Pooh

I think it's an eyeopener if you are honest about yourself.  When I took a test about 8 years ago, I was like 70 percent "A".  It was good in my profession, but made me realize I needed to calm down and be more compassionate and relaxed.  I was way overly-aggressive and went 90 mph. 

I also know that any given day, I can be more "A" than "B", and vice verse.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

MLW07

September 22, 2010, 09:00:27 AM #4 Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:04:20 AM by MLW07
I am guessing I am type "A".  i will do the test and find out.  Good post Pooh!

I was wrong.  I am a mixed personality.

Personality Type

Your score = 64   

You seem to be in the middle between the Type A and Type B personality. In this case, the middle ground is good. Your attitude to life is more of the "smell the roses" kind and you know how and when to relax. Nonetheless, you realize that picking up a challenge and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can add some spice to your life. The equilibrium is important, so don't let your hostile, aggressive, and competitive alter ego take over too often. Generally, you are easy to be around, and people tend to feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence. Yours is a very healthy attitude towards life.

elsieshaye

I also got a 44.  I wonder how much of that is because, over time, my natural aggressiveness has been tempered by the reality that, however much I want something, because of circumstances as well as my own hangups and issues, being as aggressive about it as I would tend to be would accomplish nothing but making me sick.  I'm not an especially laid back person, especially at work (just ask anybody who's ever gotten between me and a deadline), but I do let a lot of other things go because they are things I just don't feel I have control over.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pooh

I think you are right elsie about over time.  I think I was way more aggressive when I was younger, and as I have matured...I have chilled out on the little things.
Joseph Campbell

cremebrulee

Quote from: Pooh on September 22, 2010, 11:26:34 AM
I think you are right elsie about over time.  I think I was way more aggressive when I was younger, and as I have matured...I have chilled out on the little things.

Pooh, the scores go from 17 up to the 60's and yet, we're all in the middle?  I don't get that, am i missing something...well, of course I'm missing a few screws...but that's a known fact....

Pooh

Lol.  No actually yours came back type "B" from what your results read.  Extreme "B"s start at 1 and extreme "A"s would be at 100.  I don't know exactly where their line starts for mixed, but 50 would be in the middle of both.  So if you are lower scoring, you will be towards the "B" and higher scoring would be towards the "A".

Simplified, mine and Elsie was a 44, so we are close to the middle but slightly towards less aggressive.  MLW with a 67 is still considered having both traits, but more an "A" than a "B" and you are more "B". 

It's what they refer to as a sliding physc scale where you may possess more of one side than the other, but still have some of both.  Make sense or confuse everyone worse?
Joseph Campbell

Sunny1

Hehe! This is fun! :) I'm not surprised by my results, though.

Your Score = 52

You seem to be in the middle between the Type A and Type B personality. In this case, the middle ground is good. Your attitude to life is more of the "smell the roses" kind and you know how and when to relax. Nonetheless, you realize that picking up a challenge and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can add some spice to your life. The equilibrium is important, so don't let your hostile, aggressive, and competitive alter ego take over too often. Generally, you are easy to be around, and people tend to feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence. Yours is a very healthy attitude towards life.

cremebrulee

Quote from: Pooh on September 22, 2010, 12:34:37 PM
Lol.  No actually yours came back type "B" from what your results read.  Extreme "B"s start at 1 and extreme "A"s would be at 100.  I don't know exactly where their line starts for mixed, but 50 would be in the middle of both.  So if you are lower scoring, you will be towards the "B" and higher scoring would be towards the "A".

Simplified, mine and Elsie was a 44, so we are close to the middle but slightly towards less aggressive.  MLW with a 67 is still considered having both traits, but more an "A" than a "B" and you are more "B". 

It's what they refer to as a sliding physc scale where you may possess more of one side than the other, but still have some of both.  Make sense or confuse everyone worse?

but I don't wanna be B, I wanna be on the cusp like everyone else????

Pooh

My philosphy is that 1 in 4 people suffer from a mental disorder.  So take a good look at 3 of your friends.  If they are Ok...then it's YOU! Lol.
Joseph Campbell

Barbie

Thanks Pooh, this was fun.

My score = 47   

Pooh

Hee hee...as much as any of the rest of us?
Joseph Campbell

Hope

Thanks for sharing this fun information, Pooh!  I think what we are finding is that this group of women is not only wise, but well balanced.  :D

Your score = 32