March 28, 2024, 10:22:32 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Exciting Stuff!

Started by Pooh, September 14, 2010, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

I wanted to post something positive, since it seems most of the time, I am posting about icky drama junk.  I am very excited about a new project going on in my life.  I have been offered to train on a new thing for our state, but that is going national.  Ok, so you know how when an area experiences a major catastrophe?  Like Hurricane Katrina, or Hurrican Rita, Tornadoes, 9/11?  Well, most every Emergency agency has deployment teams to help other areas.  Fire Departments, Police, Hazmat, etc.?  Well guess who gets left out. 911 Dispatchers.  During events, they have no one to replenish them.  It was discovered during some past events, that this profession gets forgotten in the chaos.  During Katrina, those dispatchers were working 24 hour shifts, with little sleep and for weeks.

So the 911 National Committees have come together and said that our profession also needs deployment teams trained to go in and relieve these agencies.  Our agency has been picked in our State to participate and we are so excited.  There are four of us that are getting ready to go take multiple classes for this opportunity.  There is tons of training involved.  There were two of us that actually went to another county back in May when they had a major issue and helped for four days.  I was lucky enough to go and help these dispatchers and the community that was suffering do to major losses.  It was a test to see if we could do it and apparently, we passed!  Lol. 

I love my job.  Not because I make much money (and never will), but because of the sense of gratification that I get knowing that sometimes, I get to make a difference in people's lives.  I serve my community and this has me very excited to know that I am being offered the opportunity to now help other communities and dispatchers in very bad situations.  It is also humbling to know that if we are deployed to these areas, we will be seeing the worst.  I think seeing others in terrible situations, makes us remember to be thankful for what we have.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Pooh, thanks for sharing your news and thanks also for your service to others. It really puts our little dramas in perspective.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Sunny1

Yay Pooh! Congratulations. Confidence and quick response under pressure is what is always needed from 911 dispatchers, and I can't imagine the pressure and stress that is needed in a command center at a major catastrophe. Thank you for being so involved. Kudos to you   ;D

cadagi101

good news, some light relief, enjoy the training.

cremebrulee

Pooh,
thats fantastic news...wishing you lotsa fun and success in the new venture....

hugs
creme

Pooh

Thanks guys!  Just finished a 1 1/2 day training a couple of hours ago.  That's 3 classes down, 3 to go over the next month.  Good news is that I am actually finding everything interesting and enjoying this new knowledge at my age....bad news is, dang it...it's so much harder to memorize at my age!  Can I please have my 20 year old memory back?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Hope

Congrats, Pooh!  (applause, applause)
I know you'll do a great job and it's comforting to know they picked the right person for the task!  I'm so happy for the people you will be assisting.
;D ;D Hope

Pooh

Thanks everyone!  Just got back from a four day training conference and part of it was on this.  Was great training.....but.....now I have to get shots!  Dang it!  ???
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Awwww....thank you Anna.  Two things I am scared of....snakes....and shots!  I'm such a baby.
Joseph Campbell

cdb

Pooh, What a self fullfilling job you have! I loved this post and got goosebumps. I also laughed a little remembering the shows with the most ridiculous calls the dispatchers get :) Well, maybe not funny to you, but to Jay Leno etc. extremely funny. Thanks for all you do to keep people safe! cdb

cremebrulee

Quote from: Pooh on September 30, 2010, 10:05:19 AM
Awwww....thank you Anna.  Two things I am scared of....snakes....and shots!  I'm such a baby.

your not alone, hate snakes myself, however, go figure, when my son was little, he used to bring them inside, and it never bothered me?  Sheeesh?  Looking back I ponder, how and why did I do that? 

kathleen

Pooh, I just saw this post for the first time.  It's fascinating!  It's wonderful!  What stage are you at in the process now?

It is really great to read something this uplifting.  Doing a good job and helping other people to survive is really a career star.  I'm proud to know you.

Also, my son was in lower Manhattan on 9-11.  He saw the second plane go in.  I don't dwell on our "lost son" with him; he already has that perspective Pen talks about.  Move on from ridiculous, destructive behavior. 

Please keep us posted and updated on this exciting and worthwhile event in your life.  And thanks for telling us about it.

All the best of luck with it,

Kathleen