March 28, 2024, 07:46:19 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

2010 Music Awards

Started by cremebrulee, September 13, 2010, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

September 13, 2010, 10:02:04 AM Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:41:03 AM by cremebrulee
 ;D

ok, is it me?  I'm going to post a link of 22 pictures....take a look at the women's ahhhhh, dresses, a few are very nice, however, most are nauseating....what do you think?

I thought Ellen Degeneris looked nice. Seriously, she could have worn something better then that....and I'm not really a fashion person...but some of these dresses are really bad.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/09/13/bestworst-vma-arrivals/?test=faces#slide=1

Pooh

They are terrible, like always.  What cracks me up is Lady Gaga stuff.  It doesn't matter what she wears, they always say she looks good.  Hello!  I guess I have no taste cause I have never seen her look good.  She looks ridiculous.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

cremebrulee

Quote from: Pooh on September 14, 2010, 06:58:53 AM
They are terrible, like always.  What cracks me up is Lady Gaga stuff.  It doesn't matter what she wears, they always say she looks good.  Hello!  I guess I have no taste cause I have never seen her look good.  She looks ridiculous.

Well, join the club, b/c I evidently I don't have any taste either.  How bout that one in the to to....? 

Can't believe they dress like they do...and Cher, come on girl grow up, your in your 60's and you still dress like that...?  I dunno, maybe it's me...

Sassy

Did you recognize Cher's outfit?  I believe it is the same outfit she wore for her If I Could Turn Back Time video in 1989.  She was chastized for wearing it at age 43, so I think she intentionally meant it as a big Ha to have the plums to be able to rock it like that again at 64.  She showed she doesn't need to turn back time to wear that again, in my opinion.   :o

These pics are from MTV's basic cable Video Music Awards, not the more traditionally formal Grammys.  This is literally stage-wear, and visual (video) performance wear.  Hence, Rihanna's tutu.  (Have you heard that haunting song, Love the Way you Lie, about domestic abuse?  I cried the first time I saw the video).

Lady Gaga is a performance artist who happens to sing, not just a singer, so her costumes are integral to The Show, not unlike Broadway or off-Broadway... or off-off Broadway :P.  She personally storyboards each of her her own videos, frame for frame.  In an interview Gaga did with Ellen after the show, she explained she had never been more nervous in her life about an appearance, than at these VMAs, because she had never been expected to be at a show without being in the show.  She didn't want to be just another (girl) in a dress, she felt she still owed her fans the performance they have come to expect from her.  Gaga chooses all ensembles, and even creates and sews some of the outfits herself.  Like Broadway and Film production companies, she also employs a full time creative team called Haus of Gaga for many of her custom performance art pieces.  Gaga also hand picks and wears customized pieces made just for her by some of the finest designers in the world - including those of the late Alexander McQueen, who hung himself earlier this year while in the grip of grief from the passing of his beloved mother Joyce 9 days earlier.

http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2010/02/11/alexander-mcqueen-mothers-death-caused-depression-and-suicide/#more-37063

I personally thought the Alexander McQueen renaissance gown (center picture, slide #11) was as stunning as anything in a Merchant Ivory production.  Gaga's meat dress was disturbing, and it was supposed to be, as it was for her a statement about how some of our US servicemen and women are treated by the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.

Anyway, I can definitely see without context how some of these things would seem plain ridiculous.  It is supposed to crack you up, too, if the artists can bring joy into an otherwise plain world. As modern art, pop art can also go deeper; if you want to go there, the symbolism is there, for those who feel like looking for it in those places (it's a given with pop art that many don't care to).  I know everyone has an opinion.  This is not an attempt to invalidate anyone else's!  Saw this thread and just wanted to jump in, shed some light about how and why these pieces can be appreciated as the art it's intended to be, and so maybe there can be some extra joy found in them as well.   Hey, I get my thrills where I can  ;)

http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/2010-vma-red-carpet-arrivals/4206?nc

cremebrulee

September 17, 2010, 06:08:19 AM #4 Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:38:29 AM by cremebrulee
Hi Sassy,
Thanks so much for the explainations and for your time in giving them.  I have a interest in art...painting, theater, etc....so your explaination did help me understand a little more....
and thanks for the nicely put flexablity at the end of your post...very much appreciated. ;D

Not at all into Lady GaGa, or any MTV people anymore, so was truly lost... :-[

However, while you made a very good point, still feel most of those dresses were just down right ugly, but due to your help, it makes perfect sense.    Never thought I'd say this, guess I'm getting old and there is a huge generation gap....guess it's time to regroup....or something... ;D

I think they look very foolish...?  And Cher, love her, and yes, it is great she can still get itnot it...and remember that outfit now that you mention it....yes, indeed....I don't know, simply put, to me, beautiful gowns show an elegant lady and was hoping she would rather wear something more elegant and sexy?  Again, it's probably me....really. 

Pooh

Thanks for the input and information Sassy.  I do realize they are artists (in their own right) and it has always been that way.  Back in my day it was Prince, Boy George, Madonna, Kiss and Cyndi Lauper (just to mention a few) that were usually dressing "way out there" and they always attributed to their personas as well.

Although I totally understand Lady Gaga's statement she was trying to make, I guess I am just still old school.  I can't concentrate on what a person is saying dressed like that, and the focus becomes on the ensemble to me instead of the cause.   I would prefer to sit down with someone dressed classic and hear their issues/concerns and relate on an intellectual level.  Dang I'm getting old.....

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

cremebrulee

Quote from: Pooh on September 17, 2010, 07:37:51 AM
Thanks for the input and information Sassy.  I do realize they are artists (in their own right) and it has always been that way.  Back in my day it was Prince, Boy George, Madonna, Kiss and Cyndi Lauper (just to mention a few) that were usually dressing "way out there" and they always attributed to their personas as well.

Although I totally understand Lady Gaga's statement she was trying to make, I guess I am just still old school.  I can't concentrate on what a person is saying dressed like that, and the focus becomes on the ensemble to me instead of the cause.   I would prefer to sit down with someone dressed classic and hear their issues/concerns and relate on an intellectual level.  Dang I'm getting old.....

well pooh, guess it's time to get out the wheel chairs....I don't know, while looking at those dresses, kept thinking, what horrible role models for our kids...if they dress like that, it's no wonder the kids dress so poorly.  Always enjoyed opulance and eclectic however, those4 dresses they wore to me, seemed shabby (not shabby sheik) and tasteless...just thought it was a very poor way for them to represent themselves?  Even the blue and white dress with the matching gloves...horrible...? 

again, that's just me....but I'm there with you...

Pooh

Wheel chairs nothing!  I want a pink hover-round with a basket!  Lol.
Joseph Campbell

Sassy

Sign me up for a shiny purple scamp!

You know how the first time you saw a work of Modern Art, you think "My 4 year old can do that" and then as you tilt your head and the view changes and feeling begins to overcome you ....  Gaga was accepted at Julliard, but instead at 17 attended Tisch School of the Arts at NYU.  Her name references the Freddie Mercury / Queen song "Radio Gaga".

So just in case someone feels like it, on a slow day perhaps, in the name of pop art  :-*, here's the link to the page for Gaga's videos.
http://www.ladygaga.com/player/default.aspx?meid=5820

Highlights - Alejandro is probably sonically the most melodic.  The Abba influence is obvious (mentions Fernando).  Her hair reminds me of Tennille (of the Captain and.)  And of course, the Madonna element, taken up a notch; her cones shoot fire.

Bad Romance is the VIDEO that won almost every award. (She references 3 Hitchcock films: psycho, vertigo, and rear window).  Note Alexander McQueen's armadillo lobster-claw shoes.

And the 8 minute "film" for Paparazzi is also recalls Hitchcock, and Minnie Mouse, and more.

But, for me, the live performance element is where I enjoy Gaga most....

Here's her 2010 Grammy performance with Sir Elton John "Your Song" mixed with a decontructed version of her biggest hit "Poker Face" her song "Speechless".  (Elton comes in at three minutes in.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJ4PB5o6cA

Last but not least, here's her 2009 VMA performance, which is resplendent in it's Broadway show glory.  Its impossible to watch it without feeling.. well...  something. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJ8Tugryfs

Like I said before, if there's pleasure to be found, don't want to miss out.  Not for everyone, I agree!  I didn't like her at first.  But then....   

cremebrulee

September 17, 2010, 09:06:13 AM #9 Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:40:59 AM by cremebrulee
Quote from: Sassy on September 17, 2010, 08:44:39 AM
Sign me up for a shiny purple scamp!

You know how the first time you saw a work of Modern Art, you think "My 4 year old can do that" and then as you tilt your head and the view changes and feeling begins to overcome you ....  Gaga was accepted at Julliard, but instead at 17 attended Tisch School of the Arts at NYU.  Her name references the Freddie Mercury / Queen song "Radio Gaga".

So just in case someone feels like it, on a slow day perhaps, in the name of pop art  :-*, here's the link to the page for Gaga's videos.
http://www.ladygaga.com/player/default.aspx?meid=5820

Highlights - Alejandro is probably sonically the most melodic.  The Abba influence is obvious (mentions Fernando).  Her hair reminds me of Tennille (of the Captain and.)  And of course, the Madonna element, taken up a notch; her cones shoot fire.

Bad Romance is the VIDEO that won almost every award. (She references 3 Hitchcock films: psycho, vertigo, and rear window).  Note Alexander McQueen's armadillo lobster-claw shoes.

And the 8 minute "film" for Paparazzi is also recalls Hitchcock, and Minnie Mouse, and more.

But, for me, the live performance element is where I enjoy Gaga most....

Here's her 2010 Grammy performance with Sir Elton John "Your Song" mixed with a decontructed version of her biggest hit "Poker Face" her song "Speechless".  (Elton comes in at three minutes in.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJ4PB5o6cA

Last but not least, here's her 2009 VMA performance, which is resplendent in it's Broadway show glory.  Its impossible to watch it without feeling.. well...  something. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJ8Tugryfs

Like I said before, if there's pleasure to be found, don't want to miss out.  Not for everyone, I agree!  I didn't like her at first.  But then....

OMG, I loved loved loved Freddie Mercury!!!!!  And Queen, my very favorite group...plus Kansas, Journey, etc.  Steve Perry was THE Best!

I will take a look, thanks so much Sassy, definately appreciate this....

psst, used to sing Your Song to my son when he was a baby....later when he was 6 years old, he was taking music lessons, and so, his teacher had it put in his key...he sang it at a lawn fete, and his picture was in 5 area newspapers....he was so good I stood there and cried while I watched him....so everytime I hear that song, I think of him as a baby and child...he was such a joy to raise...such a good boy and now a great man...he has taught me a lot...I wish sometime, I had his character....he's so laid back and easy going.  Oh heck yeah, he's got faults....but for the most part, he's flexable and open minded.

Creme

Pooh

Well great...now you guys have me going down memory lane!

First concert I ever attended (I was 16) was Loverboy!  Then Boy George and here it comes Creme........wait for it....wait for it......JOURNEY!!!!  Funny thing about it was (and we didn't know this until a couple of years later when he made it for himself) their opening act for them was Brian Adams!

Oh good memories....
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Yikes, I must be one of the oldest ones here. But, I like to think of myself as open-minded...just not as up on everything as I used to be. As far as Lady Gaga goes, I like her social stances and can appreciate the performance art aspect, but have never been one for over-the-top, showy theatricals. When glam rock came in way back when, I quit going to big concerts and turned to more indie-type music at small venues. With "Glee" being a current favorite TV show, I'm newly appreciative of show choir, so perhaps there's hope for me yet. BTW, I grew up in a showbiz neighborhood, so it isn't that I'm a hick from the sticks :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Ha ha ha Pen.  I like to think of myself as open-minded too, and am very tolerant of "different".  But I just can't get on board with some stuff.  I hate rap and hard rock.  I can appreciate the culture, but can't stand to listen to it or watch it.  And my teenage step-daughter, the difficult one that isn't speaking to us, is all into the K-Pop (Korean Boy Bands).  I have tried to watch and listen to several of them, but can't stand them.  I can appreciate their dancing skills, but that's about it. 

I am the same way about art.  I oil paint and appreciate many artists, but some of it, I wouldn't have hanging in my living room.  That is what I love about music, art, fashion, etc.  It offers many different options to many different people.  Some you like, some you hate and some you can just agree to let someone else appreciate!  ;D
Joseph Campbell

Sunny1

September 18, 2010, 07:54:36 AM #13 Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:05:29 AM by Sunny1
Lol!! Just saw this link and I absolutely have to jump in.  ;D

I didn't watch the VMA's but I did see some video clips, one of which was of Cher in her getup 20 yrs after its first appearance. They put her side by side withher picture from before wearing it and she talked about her persona and the history of her choice on that ensemble.  I've gotta admit, I was impressed with her ability to be able to pull it off at her age.

Lady GaGa...I'm another GaGa convert. I didn't like her at first either but,  honestly after learning more about her and her theatrics, I became a pseudo-fan. I once read the book that Alice Cooper had written called Alice Cooper Golf Monster and I gained a huge appreciation for his business sense and his for his character persona, [Alice. He actually described himself as the last of the Vaudeville acts. I still don't like his music, but I gained some respect and appreciation for his form of art. I feel kinda the same about GaGa,  though I actually like her music...its catchy. I'll bet she puts on a great live show.

I love theater,  my sis and I have gotten season tickets to a local theater for their touring Broadway series for the past seven years. We've had the opportunity to see a lot of different stuff. I'm in no way just a fan of the modern stuff either, I love the chance to get to see the classics done professionally too. You wont see modern art hanging on my walls either,  I've got a classic looking Jose Royo in my living room.

I can respect rap as an art form, but dont care for the music at all though my tastes are pretty eclectic thoug. A couple of years ago within a two week period I ended up seeing in seperate concerts, Sarah Brightman and Madonna and went to a play starring Ruben Studdard called Ain't Misbehavin'. It was a super fun and memorable two weeks, to say the least.  ;)