March 28, 2024, 02:19:07 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Pain and social rejection article

Started by Pen, September 08, 2010, 08:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

A study was done regarding physical pain and feelings of rejection. The first part of the article describes the study, and the second part gives some advice on handling rejection. I found it interesting.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/PVN/social-rejection-can-cause-physical-pain
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

barelythere

Anna, I think it will work itself out.  These girls seem like they're battling for who's #1 and just think, it's you they're battling over! 

barelythere

Quote from: barelythere on September 08, 2010, 08:35:02 AM
Anna, I think it will work itself out.  These girls seem like they're battling for who's #1 and just think, it's you they're battling over!

And by the way?  I am so glad that I didn't need to be #1!  I'll gladly just follow, thank you.

Barbie

Last week I had to take Advil every single day due to a headache that wouldn't go away, all because I was very stressed out anticipating the get-together with DIL's family. Now I feel fine.

Pooh

That was very interesting.  Since I have been diagnosed with mild Lupus and Fibromyalgia, I can see what stress does to me.  Everything I have is centered around muscles and nerves, I hurt worse when I am stressed and upset about something.  Your muscles tense up when you are stressed, so that makes my condition more painful.  I never recognized it until I was diagnosed.  Now I have noticed when I have a bad day, I hurt worse.  So it would stand to reason that everyone would have more physical aches with stress.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

cremebrulee

When I had the first ms attack, it was really bad....they never thought I'd work again....I lost memory, felt like I was drunk, constantly spinning 24/7 and other things....however, my now ex, went to a neighbor and cried while saying over and over again, "it's my fault, it's my fault". 

Yes, I have heard a story about a woman who while stressed became blind....stress does strange things to the body....
and I think is a major factor in some neurological disorders....

luise.volta

Stress is so hard on us. A close friend of our called to say his grown daughter tried to commit suicide. (She failed, thank heaven.) It was about a daughter who is acting out and has been for years. She's just wiped out from it.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Bless her heart Luise.  I don't think we even realize half the time what stress has done to us until something manifests down the line to bring it to the forefront.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

You're too precious to lose. Please please please take care!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

You matter! Repeat after me, "I matter! I matter!" and get some much-earned rest. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Nana

Yes relax Anna.  You life is very valuable.  We first have to love ourselves....... Why do good people have to pass through this?  I wonder!    Who is who to decide what each of us deserve. 
There are also dil that are living hell with their mils, and that even have their marriages damaged because of this and then we also have awful dil's that have it their way....and our sons/daughters dont move a finger to stop them..   well just thinking out loud.

I have a friend that always says in a joking mode " But there is a God that sees it all" LOL.

Now seriously Anna,  things have to change.....I hope that they do in a positive way.  That which does not kill us makes us stronger.  You have dont what you have to do.  Your homework is done... now wait for the final grade. 

Good luck
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare