March 28, 2024, 02:59:17 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Vintage RV Forum in the Making

Started by luise.volta, September 05, 2009, 09:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Asking for good thoughts, prayers and warm wishes regarding a special project.

I am now designing my third website. It takes quite a while because my webmaster-son is busier than several of those famous paperhangers...but it's in the hopper.

Like this site, it's evolved out of my www.MomResponds.com question and answer website.

This time the subject is Vintage RVs and is meant to fill the need for a non-commercial site where restoration buffs, new and confused owners and seasoned people with maintenance issues can interact. Another forum.

Until very recently I owned a vintage Airstream/Argosy which I pretty much remodeled and redecorated - even to putting in an electric fireplace, glider rockers, braided rugs and a Cuckoo clock!  ;D ;D I sold it a year ago when my increased care giving made it necessary...but my heart beats to an RVer's rhythm. It was in the Port Susan Camping club which is not far from here. And oh...the rain on the roof was pure heaven!

When I met my husband in 1989, I was a retired, full-time RVer driving a motor home and towing a pickup....just to give a little background. We spent our first five years together RVing...with me doing all of the driving, setting up and tearing down and my hubby doing all the cooking and dog walking!  ;D

I just want to put it out there...that I'm doing this. I have no time frame but will keep anyone interested in this thread appraised of my progress. It's a way for me to stay "on the road" from my desk.  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

just2baccepted

I think that's interesting.  And oh boy how fun that would be!!  I would love to do that in my older age.  We live in small town and there lots of retirees that live in our town and neighborhood.  Several of them own those huge RV's and they travel alot.  I think that would be so much fun.  I bet you've seen some neat places!

luise.volta

Thanks for your interest!  :D We bought a Class "C", Fiberglass Sunrader motor home that was a on a Toyota frame with a 6 cylinder engine. We passed everyone on the road and then passed them again at the gas station! We traveled with two small dogs. One road "shot-gun" up on the cab-over bed while the other had a bed between us. We went across Canada to the great lakes and back across the Midwest. We were all over the Southwest because of the fabulous parks. It was wonderful!

We got up late, and got off the road early and stayed in places we liked for as long as we wanted to. Found a place in Oregon right, smack on the ocean and stayed there for a year and a half!  ;D

It's a whole sub-culture and you meet so many interesting people. A very fun chapter in our lives. My husband was 78 when we married (20 years ago) and I was 62. He didn't want to drive a motor home...yet he was raring to go, if I would do it! And since that was my life style before we met, it was a piece of cake for me. We loved Glacier and Yellowstone as well as the Southwest parks like Mesa Verda and Arches. We stood together on the North rim of Grand Canyon and watched the sun come and cried like babies...it was so awesome.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AnnieB

Wow -- this is of extreme interest... I'm in the process of fixing up my house so I can rent it and then go on the road with an RV after my son heads off to college next fall! 

Who would have thought I'd find someone with RV life info here? 

I've never RV'd, so I've been researching them and am going to my first RV convention next week-end to look around (planning to buy a used one sometime toward the summer).   Would be traveling with my dog and a cat (if he lives that long, he's 17 now)...

So, I'd be very interested!  Though I'm doing it on a budget.

luise.volta

Wonderful!  ;D  Birds of a feather!!

You may want to check out the RVing data on my question and answer website: www.MomResponds.com On the right side of the home page, down a ways, are the categories. Look at both RV Advice and Senior RV Camping. There's been quite a lot of interest from single women on the road over the three years my site has been active.

Lots of us did it on a shoestring. My hubby and I got a Toyota Sunrader...(used ones are still about.) Not the four cylinder but the six. (I don't think it's wise to drive an underpowered unit...hills abound!)

I've been asked to review a new book on women RVing alone. I will get back to you when I find out more about that.

Good for you for hearing the call of the open road! I just loved it!

luise.volta

A/B: the author of the book I mentioned tells me that she decided to publish it chapter by chapter on her blog. So, here is chapter three: http://www.solowomanrv.blogspot.com/

She writes me that when she gets to the end of the book she will start over.  :)
The current chapter is on how to select an RV! (How timely is that!?)

AnnieB

Oh, excellent!   soo much information is available when we open ourselves to receiving!!

Thank you luise... I'm just amazed at this!   ;D

o.b.sikhquus

Quote from: luise.volta on September 05, 2009, 09:11:05 PM
Until very recently I owned a vintage Airstream/Argosy which I pretty much remodeled and redecorated - even to putting in an electric fireplace, glider rockers, braided rugs and a Cuckoo clock!  ;D ;D I sold it a year ago when my increased care giving made it necessary...but my heart beats to an RVer's rhythm. It was in the Port Susan Camping club which is not far from here. And oh...the rain on the roof was pure heaven!

Wow!!!  I would love to see some pictures of that Airstream beauty!!

luise.volta

Sold some time ago but it was lovely!  :D

Pen

Welcome to the site, O.B. If you have not already done so, please read the Forum Agreement found under Open Me First on the home page. Your post is fine, but we like everyone to understand the policies here.

Airstreams are so cool, I'd love to have one.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Nana

Great Luise...it sounds really fun, good and adventurous.  Wishing you success in every step you take. 

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

cadagi101

Truth,  I am sitting here shaking my head and so joyful that you love life so much and have had all these wonderful experiences that you won't to share and continue to enjoy.  so inspiring.  Luise i am turning 50 in a few weeks,  have my fleeting sad moments of how quickly life is flying by.  You really make me think I still have a good 40-50 years to get out and rock!!  I must shake of the poor me i'm almost 50 atttitude.  Thanks for the uplift this evening. 

lancaster lady

Now you know why we want to sell up !!
My DH dream is the one you are sharing with us Luise !
When the kids were small we had a VW camper , plus a tent ! that's all we needed ...we used to have a ball !
so my DH is dreaming of when he can hit the road again ....or we call it the wrinkly trail !
I hope our next RV has some of the home comforts you mentioned ....not sure about the cuckoo clock though ...lol... ;D