March 28, 2024, 01:21:50 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

xxx and more x's

Started by Sammy, September 04, 2009, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

September 04, 2009, 11:41:02 AM Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:57:10 AM by Sammy
Hi everyone,
Just wondering.
I was a virgin till the day I got married.
Do all children sleep around/have serious relationships so young? Even in school already??
I also read that a woman allowed her teenage son to go into his room and shut the door alone all night with his girlfriend, my mother did not even allow me to go into a room alone with a boy.

Well the reason I am asking this is: I am actually really concerned, I would not want my daughter/son (If I am lucky enough to have children one day- God willing)  to do these kind of things- that can potentially be hurtful to me/the inlaws/ and my own children.

Do you think as a parent/in-law/grandparent you could play a role in a child's life regarding these issues?

And as a MIL how much do you feel it is up to you to play a role in the 'education' and upbringing of a grandchild?

SunnyDays09

I wouldn't take it kindly if my mil suggested how I clean house!  If she began on what I/we felt were appropriate steps to raise the kids I would be very hard to deal with around her.
   It's sad but other than abuse, neglect or abandonment I don't see this as an issue other than morally.  It's not for us mils to say.  We can discuss with them but get ready for the onslaught of "who do you think you are?" type vibe.
  It might be helpful to just discuss things in a non judgmental/helpful way with the kids.  One can be there for them when they need help because acting like a grownup got them into some grown up trouble but one cannot butt in with the actual raising issues.