March 28, 2024, 05:56:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

WHO SHOULD MARRY THEM?

Started by Cat, September 01, 2009, 10:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat

Hi Guys,
I have a question. What do you think?
My SIL is getting married.
The man my sister in law is marrying- his father (her soon to be father-in-law)  is a Christian Minister.
Now my SIL wants her grandfather to marry them instead- who is also a Minister.

But her fiance wants his father to marry them - which is kind a obvious if you ask me, it is his father after all! How many people can say that they were married by their own father??

-the reason my SIL gives, is that her father (my FIL) never had a chance to study to become a Minister, and it would be unfair towards him. ??
Well, I think this is absurd, but it is anyway none of my business, but I would like to know what you guys think??

Prissy

His father, for sure.

If this is your SIL, though, don't say a word!!!!!!  Can't stress that enough.  Never argue with an inlaw.  Holy Moly!

luise.volta

Number one, Prissy is right. Keep mum! Put masking tape over your mouth and ask someone to hadcuff you so you can't reach your keyboard!

But (great word!) in thinking about it, if it were my family (and my son and grandfather were both ministers, and someone consulted me, I would ask them if the two ministers would co-chair the event. That could be done and it would be unique.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Cat

Thanks everyone for you comments and answers.
Greatly appreciated.
What a unique idea Luise, you really do have a sweet heart!
And Prissy, I am so glad you can see my pain!
Tam-very true, I will not open my mouth, I will NEVER do that, that would be like hanging myself! This wedding is going to be VERY hard for me, I would have to drink a bottle of wine-by myself, before even the service! :0

luise.volta

It's hard for me to believe that my son and my grandfather were both ordained ministers! I must have been a throw-back!  ;D ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama