March 28, 2024, 05:36:16 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Letting go of the hurt

Started by SunnyDays09, August 26, 2009, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prissy

I'll write later......got to run....

SunnyDays09

mmmmm, that casserole sounds mighty yummy too.  Pm the recipe?  I totally understand if it is a "family" secret.  But hey - we iz teh twins!!  lol

AnnieB

Maybe we should just all get together for the holiday, what say?  ;D

This year my youngest (h.s. senior, age 18) wants to spend Thanksgiving with his gf (only 3 hours away, her family has invited me, but I have my aging mother).    My 2nd son and his wife (1 hour away) I am sure will be too busy.  My 1st son and wife and far far away. 

When I was a single mother and it was my boys' holiday with their dads, I used to have no problem finding fun and enjoyable things to do on the holidays.  I know I will this year -- I just have to work at not falling in to the Rockwell / Hallmark myth that everyone we see is having a joyous holiday.

Ha ha, one of my friends told me about a televison show where the son was whining about having to go to the relative's for Thanksgiving -- he wanted to spend it at home and have his own friends over.  The father frowned and said something like, "You can't do that.  This is a special season, the holidays -- we don't spend them with people we love, it's a time to spend with Family!" 

Made me laugh! 

SunnyDays09

Thanks Tam.  Got to make that.  It sounds way yummy!!

AnnieB:  would everyone meet centrally?  Where? 
I am near Great Lakes.  Luise is Washington.

As for bringing the dil - I'll just bring my dd and pretend? 

AnnieB

Well, the whole point is to just bring ourselves, lol....

is Kansas central to everyone, lol?

SunnyDays09

Never been there!  But works for me.  ROAD TRIP!!!   

just2baccepted

AnnieB - I'm in the same boat, we used to have huge family gatherings for the holidays.  But now we have really no one to spend them with.  I guess unless I spend it with people who don't like me.