March 28, 2024, 02:47:29 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

50th Wedding Anniversary

Started by jdtm, November 04, 2018, 05:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtm

Here I am complaining again!  This week-end, my husband and I celebrated 50 years of marriage.  Our marriage has been very blessed - health, finances, good friends and family.  So, what is the problem?  Everyone, and I mean everyone, forgot!  My husband and I went out to dinner on the said date - it was a nice dinner but it was not a special dinner.  During the meal a  couple of tears escaped my left eye (I'm sure my husband did not notice). 

I guess we should have planned something but it would have been thoughtful and, yes loving, if someone (anyone) had given us a moment's notice by sending a card, a telephone call or even a text message. 

luise.volta

Hi, J. Ah, that demon 'expectation'. I know that one well. Often others don't meet mine, however simple, and I'm sure there are times I don't meet theirs.

It's important to me to let myself feel the feeling that come up when something like this happens. Then what I have learned to do is create a way to to fill the gap to some degree. A special anniversary is special whether others remember it or not. Why not take a trip or go on a cruise? I know the specific date has come gone but that doesn't mean you still can't do it and have a great time. 50 years is a huge milestone. Congrats!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

jdtm

Thanks Luise.  Sometimes, just being acknowledged is sufficient.  We will be taking a trip this winter, not sure where yet, except it will be warm. 

luise.volta

Oh, good. We are in your corner and we care! Hugs...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Bamboo2

Congratulations, jdtm, on your 50th anniversary!  That is well worth celebrating!  I'm glad you will be going someplace warm together.  My husband and I celebrated a milestone anniversary with a cruise 9 months after the fact, and it was wonderful!  Shortly after we returned, there were a lot of family issues that definitely took our time and attention, so we were very fortunate to have had some special time together before things started to become difficult.  It's so good that you will take some special time away together as a couple.  Cheers  :D