March 28, 2024, 09:07:38 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Raising Grandkids

Started by babsywhit, September 20, 2018, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babsywhit

September 20, 2018, 10:00:24 AM Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:37:08 AM by luise.volta
Since two of my grandsons were born, I raised them from diapers to teens.  After having the kids in their first four years, I adopted them because my daughter and the father were willing to relinquish their parental rights.  My husband and I nurtured, sent them to school, paid their hospital and dental bills, got involved in their sports activities -- you name it we did it. The reward -- the biological father undermines us and tells the boys we took them away from him, wouldn't let him raise them -- although he chose not to come visit them.  To date, my grandsons have alientated my husband and I.  Family and friends who were an outstanding support system for the boys cannot understand why -- nor can we.

I am hurt, but I have no regrets. Though their last words to us were mean, spiteful, hateful, and sometimes even threatening, we know we did all we could do as parents. Even when those boys eventually got into trouble with the police -- we were there.  Some days I cry more than others.  I love them and I always will.

Babsy Barb Whitfield

Stilllearning

Hi B!!  Welcome!!  We are glad you found us!  We ask all new members to go to our HomePage and under Open Me First to read the posts placed there for you. Please pay special attention to the Forum Agreement to be sure WWU is a fit for you. We are a monitored Website.  Also you might want to change your screen name to something less identifiable.  We believe that posts are more honest and forthright when there is little chance that the off hand visitor might identify us. 

Your post is written about your grandchildren but you actually raised them so it was difficult for me to choose where to move it.......grandchildren or children?  I hope this choice does not upset you.

I have lots of experience with my DS deciding that my advice was not wanted, needed or appreciated.  He went through a phase like that (and married....ugh!) and he is currently living with the lessons he has learned.  Yes, he now wishes that he had listened to me but.......oh well.  We have two wonderful granddaughters and I love them so much but I honestly still do not see what my DS thought he was marrying.  Anyway with a few more years under his belt and being entirely responsible for his own decisions he has finally seen the light.  I think your grandsons will do the same.  Anyway I hope they will.

For now the best thing you can do for yourself and your DH is to go out and enjoy your life.  Make plans for fun things and try to turn your focus to the things in your life that bring you joy.  My mantras are:
1) No news is good news
2) Not my circus, not my monkeys
and
3) What you focus on expands

Please take heart in the fact that you did the absolute best you could for your grands and one day they will recognize what you did.  Go out and have some fun!!!

Hugs!!
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

luise.volta

Welcome to my Website. Please create a UserName that will protect your anonymity and also remove your picture from your profile. I will close this thread to protect you further. In re-reading our Forum Agreement you may better understand our policies. Sometimes WWU isn't a fit. There are other Websites that take a different approach where you may feel more at home. If you choose to stay and re-post, I will remove this thread and respond. We care and we understand. To that we add as much protection of your privacy as possible.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama