March 28, 2024, 03:14:07 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Mostly lurking at this point.

Started by pjprimrose, November 27, 2017, 07:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjprimrose

I'm new to this forum and looking for support dealing with difficult DS and even more difficult DIL. I have a back ground in 12 step (family and friends of...) that I attended for a long time to deal with a difficult situation growing up. My parents are gone now. I'm mostly here to get support and encouragement to stick to my resolve not to be pulled into an unhealthy relationship,  which is rather easy to do! I've been lurking and believe this is what I need to stay focused on my post-mommy career plans, restoring my old home and allowing myself to stay in peace while dealing with two close relationships that seem to revel in chaos for some reason. Your stories/advice have been helpful. PJ

luise.volta

November 27, 2017, 09:01:56 PM #1 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:09:16 PM by luise.volta
Welcome P, we ask all new members to go to our HomePage and under Read me First to read the posts placed there for you to be sure WWU is a fit. We're a monitored Website.

How wonderful that you are availing yourself of our archives. That's what they're for! Thank you.

I had a hard time when I started to realize that the paths of others were not where I should focus. It's what moms do for years on end. I actually lost sight of myself as a complete person prior to my biological role and didn't know where to begin. For a long time I let myself be drawn back in...thinking it was what I 'should' be doing without realizing I had let it define me. I admire your clarity and resolve and I hope the support and understanding available here helps.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pjprimrose

Bamboo2

Welcome, PJPrimrose!  I, too, have spent a lot of time in the archives.  I wrote down some pearls of wisdom I found there for future reference, and they have guided me through some rough patches.  I'm glad you are finding some guidance there, too.  Even though the stories are unique, there are common patterns and philosophies.  As I read posts from forums other than this one, I'm also appreciative of the gentle, supportive nature of WWU.  Wishing you the best on your journey!