March 28, 2024, 11:35:26 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Father's Day

Started by gettingoldandcranky, June 19, 2017, 03:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malfoyfan

I agree...a lot is being lost.  Lately I look around my house (which was my parents' house) and think, what is my son going to do with all these things when I'm gone?  Will they just end up in a landfill?  All my books, pictures, decorative items, things I made, things that belonged to my mother and grandmother?   Recently I was tempted to buy an item at an art gallery and I didn't, because all I could think of was someone throwing it out some day.  My husband said, that's a really bad way to think about it.  Yes, but it's also realistic, given the way the younger generation is used to just throwing things out.  I treasure my grandmother's photo albums from the 1920s, her books she loved, beautiful lace handkerchiefs her sisters made. 

Marina

I don't think it's unusual at all for people in their 20s, 30s and even 40s to be so busy with their careers and childrearing that they don't even think about or value the family history and heirlooms.  By the time they begin to have an interest, it may be too late to get that info from the older generation.  Programs like "Who Do You Think You Are?" show that family history can be lost within a generation or two. 

I was the only one in my extended family to have an interest in family history and to treasure old things such as furniture, cars, etc.  If you can write down your family history and label family photographs, it may be cherished by a family member down the line.   

malfoyfan

I was always interested in my family's history, documents, and artifacts, from an early age.  I'm planning to ask my niece, who was very close to my mother, if she would be interested in helping me make sure we keep our family's treasures safe.