March 28, 2024, 06:46:16 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Corona, How is everyone doing?

Started by Things happens, March 24, 2020, 11:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Things happens

Hi All,

Just I would check in and see how everyone is doing at this time. I know there are several older members including myself. I am just staying put and not going anywhere.

luise.volta

Hi T, I am 93 and high risk. I live in the Independent Living section of a retirement center in Washington state with both nursing and assisted care facilities. I have a little studio apartment and a dog and have lived here for 20 years. I have various physical issues and a pacemaker. 

All kinds of wise controls were set in place here early on and we held our own until last week when a resident in Independent Living contracted the virus and passed on. We stay in our units unless we are taking a walk, alone. We are on 90 acres of woods and our walks are lovely. There are no two-story units. Groceries are delivered by a store or by family and left on our porches. Prescriptions are handled the same way. We do not congregate anywhere or visit back and forth. However, we stay connected by text, email, and phone conversation. It's a very loving community of around 350 residents.

I have a volunteer job I do from my apartment, monitoring our Maintenance Request Line during their off-hours and submitting a report each morning when they open.

My son and DIL live 50 miles away and prepare all of my main meals for me. This is the third year they have done that! They freeze and label each one and keep me stocked a month in advance. I have a little freezer on my front porch where they leave them...and I wave at them from my window when the come up monthly. They used to visit me every week and we always enjoyed that but it's not safe now. 

I am mobile and do my own housework now that no one is allowed to enter my unit. I do it in small increments. I use a walker for balance but not to hold me up.

I have seen a great deal in the last 93 years but nothing that has prepared me for this. I am a retired nurse but my training was in the 40s and is terribly outdated. All I can do is my best. This is my Website and it means a great deal to me. My moderator, 'Still Learning', is stepping in to take over. My son is our Webmaster.

Hugs to all!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Stilllearning

I am so glad to hear that you are both doing well!  Please stay healthy!!

As for me, I decided that working in the daycare was unnecessarily exposing my DH to a dangerous vector.  All those times of saying "it is like getting paid to be a Grandmother" are all true but it is still like working in a petri dish,  There is no way to maintain a six foot separation when you have to change diapers and wipe noses, and with both of us being in the "at risk" age range it just didn't seem to be worth the risk.  So now I am at home painting the exterior of my house.  It needs it sooooo badly and since I now have the time and can certainly stay away from everyone in the process I am turning these lemons into lemon aide! 

What are you doing to fill the empty times?  Hopefully you haven't glued yourself to the TV with its endless supply of bad news!
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

Things happens

Luise,

That is good to see your taken well care of and doing well.  I am just staying in and limiting my time to the grocery store once a week, at 5:30 AM (special senior hours 5:30 - 7:00). Not to many then, they usually start coming in at 6:00 when I am leaving.  I feel lucky that no one around here has tested positive and I hope it stays that way. It is a scary time, but my grandmother use to say stop borrowing worry. So I just hope and pray for the best.

Still Learning, Now that is an ambitious project, I am just cleaning out things a little bit at a time. When things goes back to normal, a lot of places will be getting some nice donations. I watch just a local channel once a day. I actually found a nice website called the Goodnews Network, they have nothing but good heart felt stories. No doom and gloom allowed.