March 28, 2024, 11:25:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What could i have done so wrong to my DIL

Started by irpesky, August 19, 2009, 06:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marina

MammaT
I bet you taught your DS all he needed to know about love and respect, and that is not where the problem lies.  In my situation, I know my DS loves and respects me, etc. etc., but that is not enough.  DS has a wife whom he needs to please and get along with and I know she does not want anything to do with me.  She does not allow a separate relationship between me and DS.  DIL is a controlling person and MUST have her way.  I recognize she is quite damaged emotionally and would enjoy hurting me every chance she gets to show she is in charge.  I'm not volunteering for that, so I don't have contact with them.   

MammaT

So sad not to have contact with your son because of her. My goodness, what in the world do these girls think? Are we as mothersteaching our daughters that when they get married they run the show? I'm just wondering out loud where this thinking comes from! I'm sorry you don't get to see your son but i totally understand your stance.
"Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you" unknown

Marina

My DIL's behavior fits the traits of someone with a narcissistic personality disorder.  She has the intellect of an adult with the arrested maturity of a 3 to 6-year-old.  Which makes her a very self-centered person.  I feel more sorry for DS and GC than I do for myself.