March 28, 2024, 09:56:32 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My husband is our son-in-laws best friend and the bf is jealous of me

Started by notsurewhattodo, February 25, 2017, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsurewhattodo

Hello, I am a newlywed.  My husband lived with his daughter and her family and the son-in-law and he became great friends.  Now that we are married and we live in our apt, the SIL seems to have an attitude with me.  He is fine with my husband but is short with me or worse yet, silent. For most of the last 8 months he has been fine but..it has turned.  My husband went through abt 2 months of soul searching due to being depressed and discovered that he too had become dependent on the family more than he had understood.  We talked about it with this family and ever since then this SIL has pulled away from me.  My husband is spending more time with him to help the situation.  He is find with husband but when I show up, he goes to another room or sits ever so quietly UGH!
:(

Pen

Welcome, NSWTD! I'm glad you found us. Please read the information highlighted on the page Open Me First regarding our policies, etc. We ask this of all newcomers so we can all be on the page, so to speak :-)

I'm sorry you're going through this. How does your stepdaughter treat you? Grandkids? Your DH's support is probably the biggest help. I hope SIL comes around to accepting you when he realizes his FIL hasn't abandoned his family.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb