March 28, 2024, 12:58:51 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Peace and Fulfillment

Started by Pen, December 22, 2016, 08:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

December 22, 2016, 08:22:30 AM Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:35:26 AM by luise.volta
I send all of my WWU friends good wishes and hope for peace and fulfillment in our lives.  :) :) :)

In a recent magazine article, Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) told a story about how her mom would always change the sheets and make the bed before leaving for vacation. When young Liz questioned why, since no one would be home, her mother replied, "It's a gift to my future self. She is going to come home tired and frazzled. I want her to have a nice, fresh bed to climb into." Or words to that effect. You can find it in O Magazine I believe.

I love the idea of giving a gift to my future self! I'm going to use this from here on, regarding exercise, good nutrition, facial care, picking up after myself, etc etc. I may need to repeat it as a mantra ("...a gift to future Pen, a gift to future Pen...")

We deserve it!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Beloved Pen, It seems to me that this post deserves its own thread. I'm pondering the wonderful idea of giving
'a gift to my future self'. The first one is to honor the physical limitations I have been ignoring...or trying to ignore, at great price. Yup, my first gift is as of now received with gratitude. Thanks and hugs...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

shiny

With the year-end here, I want to thank Luise and all of the wise women here who have contributed to the forum and ultimately, my well-being!
It's taken awhile, but five years ago, I was so miserable and confused due to issues with several AC, their spouses, and even GC.
Now, I'm on the other side -- kicking my heels and leaving them in the dust, so to speak!

Pen, I agree that we do need to take care of ourselves. If we don't, who will?
Love you all!

PatiencePlease

Thank you Pen for proposing that we "future gift" ourselves.  What a great idea!  Over the years I learned I can't take care of anyone else until  I take care of myself first. 

Peace to all. xo

notsurewhattodo

When my family went on vacation, before they came home I cleaned the house and changed the sheets as well.  Washed everything in the master bedroom as a gift to the parents.  Traveling is fun and hard.  They have 7 children and I just thought it would be a nice thing to come home to. She and her husband were happy and rested well that night.
   My husband and I will leave for vacay next month and I plan to do this for him as well!