March 28, 2024, 04:43:40 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Interesting Comment by Columnist Amy Dickinson

Started by jdtm, November 27, 2015, 07:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtm

November 27, 2015, 07:06:07 AM Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:36:51 AM by luise.volta
I am just "down" today - our beloved DIL's birthday is this week-end and we offered to drop by on any one of four days - they were busy on all of them (just like Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter and probably Christmas).  There was a letter to an advice columnist, Amy Dickinson, in our local newspaper (a world-wide columnist) concerning the issue "older boomer parents wonder why our children ignore us" - the reply was very astute. I believe that my crediting this columnist with her words, I am able to copy and print them here (if not, Luise, then delete).

DEAR DAD: Here's my take: People in your generation (older boomers) raised your own children to occasionally miss a tournament or a birthday party in order to climb into the station wagon and spend time with (and have their cheeks patted by) older family members.

I'm describing a family structure that was more "top down," where the parents made choices on behalf of the family.

But there has been a significant shift. First of all, two working parents are working long and hard. But these parents are also exhausted because they assume their children's priorities -- including dropping everything for sports tournaments that are scheduled during national or religious holiday weekends. These parents promote a family structure where everything revolves around their kids.

I assume that when they're older your grandchildren might see their own parents the way your adult children see you -- as a "waste" of vacation time.

My advice to you is to accept the parameters and do what you want to do -- but to do your best to love them, regardless. More than ever, young people need to spend time around older relatives.

luise.volta

I moved this to Helpful Resources to keep it from getting lost. I doubt crediting an author transcends a copywrite if there is one.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

kate123

About once every 10 years we took a sightseeing vacation. The rest were visiting vacations or spend time at home vacations. Now, I remember quite a lot of the visiting vacation, and very little of the sightseeing- if it were not for pictures, would probably not remember anything at all. Visiting  a "Waste of time"?? Yes that is what is what my kids think, so since I can't pay to take them somewhere elaborate, I don't see them except for maybe an couple of hours a year, on there way from here to there. Glad I am at the end of the road because I do not like the new world so much.