March 28, 2024, 02:23:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Time for an update

Started by Lillycache, December 01, 2015, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lillycache

I posted this in this section on December 12th 2014 in the thread "I knew it would come to this"

QuoteFriends... I need encouragement.   I am not going to write a book..  I'm going to give you a few sentences.. It will suffice.

As some of you know, I have an adult son, age 45 that has lived with my husband and I since he got out of the military 10 years ago.   He is an alcoholic.  He can barely keep himself clean or keep up his room, or continue to hold a part time job.  Which he does.. but to buy booze.   I had to have him physically removed from my home last Sunday as he was out of control.   He currently is in a VA facility.  This is his 2nd stay at rehab this year.   I have told him he cannot return to my home..  I am petrified what will happen to him... I am sad.... I am sick to my stomach and to my heart.  Did I do the right thing?   How do I stay strong.. ??    He is begging to come home..  I just cannot have him here... but I cannot let him die in the streets..   He is a wonderful person.. sober.. but not when he is drunk..  I cannot chance it.  but I need strength.

It's almost a year to the day... and what a difference a year makes.  My son has gone through the program at the VA.  Lived this last year in a homeless veterans shelter and concentrated on staying sober.  He will have one year of sobriety on December 7th.. just six days from today.   Since then:

He has found a good job with the help of the VA counselors

Put some money away

Found a nice apartment and is now living on his own

I would have never thought it possible one year ago.  Of course I am still cautiously optimistic and know that trouble is only one drink away.  So I encourage him to continue to be active in AA.. and to continue to stay sober.  The rest is now up to him.

Pooh

That is wonderful news Lilly!  Happy Anniversary to you both!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Jumping up and down, clapping hands and singing! What an incredible win!!!!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Bamboo2

Hi Lilly,
I am a relative newbie, but I have read many of your posts.  This is fabulous news, and it goes to show that sometimes the hardest thing to do is the best thing.  You and he both deserve a lot of credit.  Thank you for sharing your update with us, and I hope it keeps going in this positive direction!  :)

Green Thumb

I am very happy to hear your good news and glad for you and your son that he has a new life. Thanks for sharing the update!

Pen

Wonderful news! Indeed, what a difference a year can make. So happy for you both.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb