March 19, 2024, 12:23:51 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Happy Thanksgiving Day...Every Day!

Started by luise.volta, November 27, 2015, 10:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Today is not a Black Friday here in my corner of the Pacific Northwest...it's sunny! (Yes, I know it's not about the weather but that might make more sense!)

What I want to share is it's Thanksgiving Day, again!, for me this morning because that's what I do when I wake up. I snuggle down in my cozy cocoon for a bit and start every day by going over what I'm thankful for. As most of you know, I'm 88 years old, so the list is pretty long! It's not a mantra...it's always different...because life is always unfolding. We can't focus on two things at one time...so the 'other' list, which we all have also, gets no attention.

This morning my gratitude was about how supportive my family was when I decided not to go to the Gathering of the Clan, held every year at the home of my eldest son's widow's home. It's approximately a two hour drive round trip, two hours of visiting before we eat and two more afterward.  Wonderful but/and I just don't have the energy any longer to do that kind of social marathon. My son, Kirk...our beloved Webmaster here, would be happy to take me late and leave early. However, the kid in me can't do that...I might miss something!

What I actually did was to go to the lovely spread put on for us here at my retirement center. I walked to the main building with my wonderful neighbors...stayed for an hour and a half...and walked back. That was followed by a two-hour nap! It tired me out!

I love you all. You're right at the top of my list!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Bamboo2

Awwww, Luise, that was beautiful. I'm going to make myself a gratitude journal.  As Still Learning just said, "What you focus on expands."  I love the comment you made about not being able to focus on two lists at the same time, and therefore not giving that "other" list any attention....brilliant! Luise, you have been and continue to be such an inspiration for all of us, and I know you are dearly loved here.  Thanks to all of you for supporting me on my journey and making me feel less alone.  Together we're stronger.

Pen

Luise, you are such a good teacher. You bring clarity and accessibility to concepts that some of us have struggled to learn for years :)

Top of my gratitude list: Luise and all the WWU!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I am and always will be grateful for you Luise!  You helped save my sanity with your wise words and a safe place to work through my issues.  Thank you!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell