March 28, 2024, 04:27:20 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Daughter In Law

Started by firefly, September 24, 2015, 04:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monroe

Quote from: Stilllearning on September 25, 2015, 05:45:16 AM
Suddenly the entire issue just fell into place and it all stopped bothering me.  What was that realization?  It was purely and simply that I no longer enjoyed my DS's company!! 

Quote from: Pooh on September 25, 2015, 07:30:30 AM

Did I really even want to be around these people?  The answer was to take out the emotional equation and think of them as strangers and ask myself, "Would you be friends with these people and go out of your way for them if you had not given birth to them?  The answer was no, I would have cut ties a long time ago.

Still and Pooh -- you have both put into words what I have been feeling.   My DS is so besotted with aloof DIL.  It really is no fun to be around them.  I miss him - but I mis the son I knew 10 years ago - not the one who is simply across the country.  I don't like the way I am treated, and I don't enjoy being around either DS or DIL. 

I wouldn't be in a relationship with them if it were not for the DNA connection.   And somehow, mere DNA is not enough.   I deserve better.   Respect, for one thing.  So it is easier and easier to let go all the time.   

firefly

Quote from: luise.volta on September 25, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Turning a corner isn't easy. Neither is letting go of the familiar and our very simple and reasonable expectations. It takes courage and self respect. Most of us here think that support and understanding help...that's why we're here for you...and we are living proof that there is life beyond parenting!

Take a deep breath and know that you are no longer alone with this. And as Pooh just suggested, reread our Forum Agreement when you get a chance. You will find it by going to our HomePage. It's the foundation of WWU. Hugs...

http://www.wisewomenunite.com/Smileys/akyhne/grin.gif
Thank you All! 

firefly

You all are amazing!  Good support group!