March 28, 2024, 12:46:13 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

vacation

Started by marie57, July 20, 2015, 08:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marie57

I haven't posted since April and nothing has changed as far as my AS attitude and behavior towards me.  He still lives at home and hates me.  Since he doesn't want to move out, he now cuts the grass and helps his Dad with more chores and they have their arguments, but he treats his father better than he treats me. He won't even look at me. I have stopped enabling him and that really makes him angry. He has a job right now, not a career. He has isolated himself from all friends, drinks alot and I worry he may hurt himself. He may be manipulating me because I tell my husband to stop doing things for him. He doesn't leave the house except to work. My husband will run to stores for him.
Anyway, we have a week's vacation planned and I really want to go, however I am afraid something will happen to him while we are gone.  I worry about drinking and driving, I worry about alcohol poisoning or attempts to hurt himself. My counselor says he is an adult, however, we do suspect mental illness like borderline. He is on an antidepressant and has said in the past he will take the entire bottle.  She says I need to go enjoy my life. I lost another son years ago while I was away having fun. That fear never goes away. On the other hand, if I put him in God's hands, he will have to run to the store or do without while we are away and may even realize he is awful to me.

luise.volta

Your post seems to me to be beyond the scope of my Website. It looks like you all need professional help with such a volatile situation and any suggestions made here could be unwise. None of us are licensed to offer the kind of support you need. Please move in a direction that will offer professional help. Our Forum Agreement makes it clear that we have our limitations and are very careful not to exceed them. With the utmost sincerity, I wish you well and hope that you realize that something has to be done that can't arise out of an online discussion.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama