March 28, 2024, 04:05:07 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Water Wings

Started by keeponsmilin, June 13, 2010, 09:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Quote from: cremebrulee on June 16, 2010, 05:52:01 AM
This country is in for a rude awakening, very soon....and I don't mean biblical...however, if you look back in history, when did every great nation fall?  When they became immoral and corrupt...well, this country is immoral and corrupt and we're broke, broke, broke.  Do you know that New York City is so broke, they were thinking about closing down all police stations, emergency personal and fire companies for 1 week to help recoup money???????  When are we going to stop and believe, that every single action, though, reaction, effects others in a negative or positive way.  Obama in his speech last night said, he'd like to print more stimulous money?????  They are continually printing money we don't have??????  It is unbelievable how greed has ruined this country....

I've read and re-read the transcripts from last night's POTUS speech and cannot find anything about him wanting to print more money (not to turn this political, by any means, just to clarify.)

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cremebrulee

I would like to apologize to the OP Keeponsmilin, for hyjaking your thread, I'm very very sorry...should not post when I'm all high and mighty on the world situation....hope you'll forgive me....and my very active mind....so sorry!

Creme

luise.volta

Thanks Creme- Best we all remember that and not get into politics or religion. That's not what our site is for.

Please everybody lets not do that.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

keeponsmilin

The post did take a detour somewhere along the road.  Regardless of your opinions, this always provides an interesting read.  Me thinks this case should be closed!

kathleen

Dear Keepon,

Just read your initial post and have one comment on both your husband and your dad:  WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  What great guys.

They are BOTH right.

What a joy to experience a story about a loving family, on this list.  You are one lucky girl.  BOTH your dad AND your husband had such considerate feelings for each other that they deferred their preferences in order to create &maintain harmony.  How wonderful and what a great lesson for your family.

As far as "toys," "guns," etc., etc., when I was the young mother of two toddling boys 2 1/2 years apart, I, too, thought toy guns were
the absolutely worst thing in the entire world.  I was adamant.  MY kids would NEVER play with toy guns.  So I forbade them.  Fortunately, since my opinions were loud and strong, my entire family got the message and never gave toy guns.

Then some research came out about forbidding toy guns and it wasn't positive.

Then my third son came along, and he was the most gentle, sweet, loving little boy in the world, and all his friends and mothers of his friends loved him, BUT, he wanted to play with guns.

During this time I ran across an old photo of myself at age six, which my aunt took at my grandmother's house, in the Annie Oakley outfit Grandma bought me, complete with not one but two six-shooters in my holsters, plus hat and boots.  I ran around Grandma's back yard with my young uncle shooting caps from our guns having a great time.  Later we moved to the suburbs with one of those endless backyards running across many houses and we played guns endlessly (I was a tomboy.)  What did this produce?  A young woman who was horrified by the Vietnam war and worked actively against it.

Kids really need to act out their fantasies.  Giving a kid a toy gun isn't going to turn him into a criminal or war-mongering soldier.  From ancient times, kids have played at war.  I think it teaches them something.  Of all my three kids, the youngest who was allowed to play with toy guns is the sweetest, gentlest, most non-violent of all my boys.  He's a music teacher.  The one who was constantly told he couldn't play with guns is the one who cut us off. He's the emotional blackmailer and worse.

Food for thought,
Kathleen