March 28, 2024, 01:17:14 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Well guess what?

Started by tryingmybest, April 25, 2015, 12:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tryingmybest

???It's funny I turned to this site to get me through my son's marriage to a manipulative controlling princess, and you were a Godsend.I detached with love, gave them space, gave up holidays stepped back and was the perfect non intrusive mother and MIL.  I gritted my teeth and bit my tongue and welcomed a grandbaby, and still never made a demand or complained or did anything worse. I made the adjustments, I moved on to live my life, and now not 5 years in, all the things I saw 5 years ago DS now sees, she has stopped caring enough about him one way or another to try and control him, and they are planning a DIVORCE. So Now what ? Arrrghhhh!!!!!

Pen

"Arrgh" indeed...a lot of heartache & hassle could be prevented if only our AC felt comfortable hearing our thoughts on stuff instead of having to learn on their own, the hard way.

I'm never happy when a marriage fails, but sometimes it's inevitable and for the best. (((hugs)))
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

DS has sure placed himself in a 'leaning' process. We did, too, at that age...or at least I did. All I know of to suggest is continuing to support him. You have done a marvelous job of that, so far. Sending hugs!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Continue exactly as you have been.  It's his issue to go through and all you can do is be supportive but detached.  You never know when all of a sudden, they decided to work it out.  Be Switzerland.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Monroe

Quote from: Pooh on April 27, 2015, 09:29:49 AM
Continue exactly as you have been.  It's his issue to go through and all you can do is be supportive but detached.  You never know when all of a sudden, they decided to work it out.  Be Switzerland.

Pooh is exactly 1000% right.  Make that 2000% right.  I too would be Switzerland.  However, I would also do a very, very secret happy dance*.