March 28, 2024, 10:55:29 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Father's Day

Started by Green Thumb, June 09, 2015, 04:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Thumb

What do you all do for your husbands who are estranged from their AC on Father's Day? Is it better to do something for them, special meal or little gift?? Or just do nothing because you aren't their child, but are the wife.

jdtm

I suggested a family get-together at a local restaurant for brunch (assuming some of them would show up); however, my husband said that he did not want anything.  We will probably barbeque something "special" and I will probably have something "special" for dessert.  Perhaps someone might call or visit - perhaps not.  We don't wait any more or plan on anyone/anything any more.  I guess we try to "forget" - just as in Mother's Day.  It still hurts though (no matter what you do) ....

Stilllearning

My DH and I try to do something we really like that will take our minds off of missing my DS and his family.  Our favorite hobby is boating (canoe, kayak) but other outdoors trips would do.  Maybe you could plan a cookout and kite flying day?  Go to a baseball game?  Fish from a river bank or at a lake?  Go bowling?  Anything that your DH enjoys and the two of you rarely (if ever) do together.  Make the day special for him by letting him know how special he is to you.  We are going camping if the weather permits.  If not....who knows?  We may just stay inside and try a new recipe....he loves to cook and so do I!!!

Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

Pooh

My hubby has a fascination with spider monkeys! Lol.  He thinks they are the greatest thing ever created.  So I found out that our local zoo does these special interactions with their spider monkeys.  You get to go into their enclosure with the staff, feed them, interact with them and let them climb all over you...ha ha.  So I have that booked for him as a surprise.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

After this past Mother's Day I had decided to NOT do anything for my DH, or encourage our AC to do anything...but I'll probably do some little thing...I don't know yet.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I should have added, although this is geared for Father's Day, it's just going to be me and him.  We both have learned to celebrate with each other.  We both know that we were good parents and we celebrate for ourselves, not the kids.  That being said, his Daughter has continued to communicate with him, via text, for the last 6 months.  Huge progress since they didn't speak for over a year.  She's in college 10 hours from us.  I'm hoping she will text him. 

I am lucky enough to still have one Son and DIL with whom we are very close.  He's the military one.  My YS loves my DH more than he loves his own Father.  His Dad has not been supportive of him for years and YS has pretty much given up on him.  He has made several comments lately about my DH being a better Dad to him than his own Father ever was.  He loves my DH and my DIL has told me that when he is talking to her, when he says, "Dad said..." that he is talking about my DH.  She's had to ask him, "Are you talking about XXXX?"  And he'll respond, "No, I'm talking about XXXX."  So she has let us know that he refers to my DH as "Dad" now.  So I fully expect he will call DH too on Father's Day.  He has the last few years.

My OS is the one that has nothing to do with us.  We have not spoken now in 2 1/2 years, so there is no expectation that we will hear from him. 

So Mother's Day and Father's day for us, has become about us.  It's great to get a phone call or a text, but honestly, we now celebrate holidays for ourselves and have a blast.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

It turns out we're redecorating the bedroom all of a sudden - so DH & I will be painting and installing flooring :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb