March 28, 2024, 12:55:52 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

How to handle my married daughter and son in law sharing family business

Started by concernmother, April 02, 2014, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Here I am C.! To me, getting that what was going on in the lives of my adult children and their families was none of my business, was the hardest lesson I have ever had to learn. We guide and protect them through childhood and they never, never stop being our 'children.' When they become adults, ready of not, for me at least it was an almost impossible assignment to get that I had launched them on their paths and must step back...no matter what. Yes, if there was something so abusive that I would report it to the authorities if it were anyone else, then my duty would have been to report it and again, step back. However, mismanagement, immaturity, thoughtlessness resulting in damage to the relationship and the children is about them. Some learn...some don't...and we have to get that it is none of our business. As I have said, I found that both impossible to consider or implement. And I did it. We all have to. Our job is done and to not know and not face that fact, compounds  and complicates. Now, years later, I also believe it demeans. I think that our job is to learn our own lessons. This is one of them. Sending endless hugs...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

jdtm

Luise - your last posting was just BRILLIANT!  This is the reason why we consider you to be the "grande dame" and the "wisest woman" of this site.  BRAVO

concernmother

Dear Luise,
Thank you very much for your answer. It was brilliant, hard to implement but we'll try.

luise.volta

Next to impossible, C....but not quite. I will be 88 in two weeks...and thus, starting my 89nth year. Remember that, JDTM and thank you. :) Life is a journey...a process...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama