March 28, 2024, 07:39:27 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Plans for 2015

Started by Pen, January 01, 2015, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

I don't like to make NY's resolutions, so I just make plans, lol.

This year I plan to commit, again, to health and fitness. I figure this is a good place to start not just for the obvious benefits but also for emotional and mental health. I can't do anything about my DS & DIL, I have no control over my DDD's outcome, and I have no say regarding my employment (it's up to the people at the top as to whether or not my department continues to be funded.)

The things I have control over are my physical/mental/emotional fitness, what I choose to eat, how much sleep I get, and how often I floss. So, those are the things I'll be concentrating on in 2015! Oh, and maybe scheduling precious time for creativity.

How about you?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Thanks Pen. A great sounding, workable plan. I have no control over the paths that those near and dear to me are on.  (Which has been a startling revelation!) I have a huge say, too, regarding my own well being; what I eat, how I exercise and the dental work I am about half way through. I also have a great deal to say, (at long last), regarding my level of inner peace and happiness (another surprise.) I commit to continuing to support all of those things through 2015! With the help of WWU!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Perfect timing Pen!  I am one of those that makes resolutions, and doesn't follow through.  I'll admit it.  So this year, I decided instead of making half-hearted resolutions I would do just what you said.  I set a goal. 

I really have come to a place in my life, where I am tired of all the clutter and "stuff".  But instead of making a resolution to "declutter", I decided to make a goal instead that would help me "declutter".  I think for me, this will be much easier to accomplish and by doing it this way, doesn't seem like such an overwhelming job.  My goal is to turn our office into a office/craft room.  The majority of my clutter is truly because I don't have much storage so I have craft/sewing/crotchet/art stuff stuffed everywhere!  So I want to take our office and line it wall to wall with shelves, centers, tables....where I can organize everything and make it easy to use.  I also want to built a center "island" type table that can be used for cutting fabric, wrapping gifts, etc.

So that is my goal for the year.  DH and I are going to go shopping tomorrow at thrift stores and start looking for inexpensive shelves and things to start.  I want to refinish everything in white and go from there. 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

That sounds do-able, Pooh! Good for you. As I read your post, I thought about my utility room and was inspired. I live in a tiny, low income studio of less than 400 sq. ft. but the storage is awesome. I organize that room and then slowly mess it back up. It's time! The way I redo it is in increments. That works for me when a task looks too foreboding. I go for goal of say half a shelf a day. My slow progress makes me feel less the looser and more the winner. OK, utility room; here I come! Thanks!

Pen

Thanks for the reminder that we can do baby steps and it still counts! I too have an office that needs to be reclaimed and made more art/craft friendly. My first step there is to shred/toss all old papers and outdated computer/software manuals (I'm embarrassed by how much of this stuff I've kept around.)

I wonder how much more I can accomplish if I stop putting my mental/physical/emotional efforts towards "things I cannot change?"

We've got a great support system going here. Whoo-hoo!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

We got this!  I told my hubby that I think by doing this, I will fool myself into doing more.  I think if I get this room accomplished, and see how nice and organized it is...it will make me want more organization in other areas of the house.  :)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Finished my utility room and it was so nice I wanted to sleep in there!  ;D Tackled my little pantry, everything here is little, and got that done, too. Whew! Starting on the kitchen cupboards today. It is definitely more fun when it's shared with you!

Pooh

See!  I'm hoping that is what happens to me!  Spurs me on to do other things! Ha ha. 

We did go thrift store shopping Saturday.  Went to four different places and didn't find a single set of inexpensive shelves.  I'm going to keep looking.
Joseph Campbell