March 28, 2024, 02:40:54 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

...And stuff

Started by Boudica, November 14, 2014, 01:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boudica

Good morning, all - (at least it is morning to me)

I was curious to know if anyone else had started to fill their time by learning new things?  Without 5 of my 8 grandchildren running through my life, I've utilized the new quiet time to begin teaching myself things that I had always wanted to do, but never seemed to have the time for. 

In the past year, since my sons have left I've used books, magazines and Youtube to learn paper crafting, Japanese paper cutting, Victorian flower making and flora drying, Mehndi drawing, and am in the process of learning basic woodworking using discarded pallets.  I've also advanced my painting, sketching, knitting and sewing skills. 

I'm finding that no matter how bad I feel that day, if I make myself sit down and work on something with my hands it helps alter my mood immensely.

Anyone else?   

Stilllearning

I like planning canoe trips or camping trips!  I am definitely not artistic!  LOL
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

luise.volta

I started this Website.  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Boudica

Quote from: luise.volta on November 14, 2014, 11:28:03 AM
I started this Website.  :D

Lol!  Awesome.  Luise, you win!   ;D

Stilllearning

No B.  Thanks to Luise we all are winning!!
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

Pen

^^Yes!^^

DH and I started mountain biking and kayaking. I'm taking fitness classes, joined a weight loss website Pooh told us about,and lost 30+ lbs. DH & I bought season tickets (ouch - but we don't go out otherwise, *sigh*) to an entertainment venue we love (& where we had been shunned by DIL & her FOO a few years ago...perhaps there's a little bit of "best revenge" thinking going on? Lol!)

Retirement looms - I'm preparing for art projects and looking into college classes at a a reduced senior citizen rate. Whoo hoo!

We're keeping busy and taking care of ourselves. We miss DS, wish we could be as much a part of his life as DIL's FOO is, but that's not something we can control. I find myself occasionally sinking into pity-party mode, but Luise has suggested setting a time limit within which to wallow. Great advice!

And the perk is that DS seems more interested in us when we're not all needy and sad. I don't want to spend our too brief moments together whining.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Atta' girl, SL! That's the truth! I also started another Web-forum and nothing happened. It was www.Aging Wisely.com I thought people would want to address and resolve end of life issues. I'm 87 and have faced a few, as you all know. Not so. Nada. Nope.

WWU is a mirror of its members. in 2009 it won the Bank of American Good Neighbor Award and non-profit grant. Which I directed to a fund to seniors in need.  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

The short answer is yes, but I also went back and picked back up on things I always loved to do but didn't have the time, or money to explore.  My Grandma was always able to see the "silver lining" in any bad situation.  I guess my "silver lining" in some of this is that all the money I have saved on NOT buying things for DS/DIL, or spending money on taking them to dinner, or helping them with things, etc., has bought me some really nice camera lenses. :)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell