March 28, 2024, 09:47:02 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Breaking the downward spiral

Started by Stilllearning, August 18, 2014, 06:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stilllearning

I have found that the more time I spend thinking about my problems with my DS and DIL the worse the problem gets.  Over time I have developed ways of shifting my thoughts to other things, things I enjoy and love thinking about.  Now I have a new good thought in my arsenal.  I actually cannot believe that my DH and I actually did this but ever since we did I have hardly even thought about my problems (outside of my achy muscles, that is).  Last Friday (8/15/2014) we went on a whitewater raft ride!  We chose the 'carnage' trip....the most likely one to get you wet.  We turned over at least 5 times but we lost count of how many times...LOL!  At 60 and 57 we were the oldest people on the ride but we figured if they take 12 year olds then we would probably make it!  We had a blast!  Surfed the rapids!  Got wet and lived through it!!  Here is a link that shows a lot of what we did.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AYyd1HbH8

So now when I tell someone on this forum to go out and have some fun and enjoy life you can all know that I take my own advice.  I don't think whitewater rafting is for everyone but everyone has something besides family that makes them feel alive.  We are not getting any younger, let's do it while we can!  I found out it feels kinda nice to be the oldest ones doing something.......
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

SL - How wonderful! My DH and I did that on the way home from our youngest son's wedding! (We ,too, were in our 50s and the oldest ones there. It was a raft trip down the Snake River through Hell's Canyon for a week. I shot the last rapid of 23 with my body with one other intrepid soul. LOL! When I was in my 70s, I went on a week long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota. At 87, I challenge myself. Two weeks ago, I walked a total of 50 miles in 7 days just to see if I could do it!  :D :D :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Wow, that's marvelous SL! I heartily agree with your tactics.

What a bunch of gnarly, rad dudettes I'm mixed up with here, lol. Whoo-hoo!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Hey, you're the leader of us all, Luise. The raddest of the rad!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

freespirit

:o 8) ;D :P
Sooo cool ! Yes!  That's what it's all about!
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
            -- Michel de Montaigne

Stilllearning

Woohoo!!  I love being a member of a bunch of gnarly, rad dudettes!!  You rock Luise!!  I canoe camp but not for a week at the time.  We do primitive camping on barrier islands and we cannot carry enough fresh water for a week.   :(  I sure am glad you could go for a week though!!  Keep up the inspiration!  Thanks!
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown