March 28, 2024, 06:12:38 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

No more Facebook for me

Started by kate123, July 09, 2014, 05:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Sarah

Kate - I'm so sorry.  imo - sometimes, FB is a way to "zap" people.  "Look at all the fun we're having without you."  Its mean and its targeted.  I've been to many dinners I didn't feel a need to post online of "look how much fun I'm having." 
I agree with the others who have said rid yourself of Facebook.  Deactivate, even for a month.  I'm not into social media, but I think it sometimes creates more problems than its worth.  Take care of yourself.  (((hugs)))

kate123

Thank you Sarah. Yes it seems like FB is only second to putting your life on the 6 o'clock news. Don't understand why people feel it is a good thing. I have not gone back and plan to stay off it, hope curiosity does not get the best of me! ;D

Lillycache

Quote from: kate123 on July 14, 2014, 10:23:39 AM
Thank you Sarah. Yes it seems like FB is only second to putting your life on the 6 o'clock news. Don't understand why people feel it is a good thing. I have not gone back and plan to stay off it, hope curiosity does not get the best of me! ;D

But that's what we have been trying to tell you.  You don't HAVE to put your whole life on FB.. nor do you have to read about anyone elses life.  You are missing out on a great entertainment venue as well as a place to get interesting and helpful  information.  Just block or hide anyone who's posts trouble you from your newsfeed.. then you can enjoy FB the way it should be enjoyed.  I couldn't live without it...  it's the first thing I check every morning. Love my friends... love the pages that I have "liked" and even met some wonderful people with similar interests..  It would be a shame to miss out on that because of some hurtful people.

ps... ok that's an exaggeration..  I COULD live without it if I had to... but I don't want to..

Pooh

I love my SKYPE!  I get to see and talk to my Grandsons in another state weekly.  We laugh and giggle.  I also was able to see/talk to my YS when he was deployed.  Skype is a great tool when someone lives a long distance away and I actually find it very personal, as you are talking/seeing in real time.

See, this is where I tell on myself.  One small part of me gets great pleasure in sharing great things in my life, vacations, family gatherings, etc.  I get great pleasure thinking OS/DIL might see it (since mutual friends like our stuff too) and realize that my life goes on and I'm enjoying my life even without their presence.  Maybe that sounds mean, but I always liked the saying, "Living well is the best revenge." :) Oh who am I kidding!  I hope the cheating EX sees it all too!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Lillycache

I don't mind sharing on FB..  BUT what I share is the key.   The last thing I shared was a picture of my new Sneakers... Neon Yellow New Balance..  Really Jazzy..    I shared a picture of the new recliners DH and I bought at Costco..   I shared a pic of my brand new Jeep!!!..    I like to repost links and funny videos.    I enjoy my conversations on my political pages.    I LOVE the updates from my Il Volo fan club pages.. I actually met some ladies for dinner before a recent concert!!   We had a BLAST!  That wouldn't have happened without FB.    I don't have anyone friended that creates drama... if they did.. I would zap them immediately.  "nobody got time for that"  lol!!

luise.volta

L - That's how I use FB, too. I comment on some of what others share...and copy some of their pictures and funny sayings for my Wall. Only twice was it painful. Those were when there was reference to my grandson's annual Pig Roast and when my grandniece was married...both local events I wasn't invited to. I'm nearing 90 and when I looked closely at both of those events honestly, I didn't even want to go. I tire at social gatherings and frankly, would rather hear about them later. I just wanted to be invited! Kind of freeing to get that.  8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama