April 18, 2024, 12:47:18 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Tired of the Disrespect

Started by C., September 28, 2013, 07:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robinhovis56

Well, I know how you feel. My daughter and her boyfriend moved in with me and her step dad. I invited her
because she was pregnant. She had one semester left to get her 4 year degree but, that's delayed. From the time she and her boyfriend moved in, they have nothing but disagreeable and down right rude!

They would complain our house was not clean enough for the baby and told us to clean our carpets.
I have a carpet cleaner. They did it which I appreciated but, started complaining about removing our shoes. I did but, my husband became angry cause he said this is our house! I agreed with
him cause I told them do not tell us what to do in our own home. They told me we were pigs! Now my
home is NOT a pig sty. Her boyfriend is anal retentive. However, he can't hold a job. So, it has been a constant battle. Before the baby was born, my daughter informed me, I would not be welcome in the room because I annoy and stress her out. But, I'am not annoying when she wants money.Of course I
will give it to her because she's my daughter and my grandchild. So, the baby arrives 3 months ago. At
the hospital she was having trouble with nursing. Her father came down to visit. So, when I tried to give
her advise because I nursed both my kids, she told me to leave.

When she came home, I was told not to bother her by the boyfriend. I stopped saying anything and of course when it came time to them wanting alone time I was ask to baby sit. Also, my husband smokes outside and he only holds the baby when he showers. Earlier his month was my husbands birthday.

He came home from work and showered. We went out to dinner for his birthday. At one point I was holding my grandson and my husband was looking at him. I gave the baby to him and the boyfriend jumps up and said, what the hell don't let him hold the baby he smokes. Well, my daughter knew he had showered and told him as well as I. Now, my husband was so upset, he left. I became so darn mad I started yelling at the boyfriend which I should not done but, I had just spent a long weekend with them visiting my son and those two talked to me like a dog the whole time so I had had it!!

They are now moving out and my daughter said I never see my grandson or her again.

luise.volta

Welcome - We ask all new members to go to our HomePage and read the four posts under Open Me First. Please pay special attention to the Forum Agreement to be sure it's a fit. We're a monitored Website. Please also change your User Name to protect your identity. I don't because it's my forum...but/and I'm the exception to the rule.

My take is that we teach disrespect when to accept it. I would have come to the fork in the road long before you did. Grandchildren who grow up watching abuse, learn lessons we don't want to teach them. And yes, it's horrible. All of it. Hugs...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Welcome.  I know it doesn't feel like it at this minute, but I'm glad they are moving out.  I would help them pack.   People that are that disrespectful, family or not, are not deserving of your time.  Yes, the GC issue stinks and I get so tired of hearing how the GC are used as weapons, but that speaks of her behavior, not yours.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

I'm glad you found this site! Welcome. You are not alone.

It's a heartbreaking situation, and I feel for you and your DH as well as for your GS. However, you don't deserve that awful treatment from your DD and her BF.

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

dedicatedmom

Please stay with the site it's so so helpful. You were accepting abuse in
Your own home.  You will find comfort here, I'd help them pack too, You'll see you
GC again your daughter has a long way to go with that crazyish boyfriend she'll need
you again. Blessings we all hav e stories about what we tolerate for GC.

dedicatedmom

Please stay with the site it's so so helpful. You were accepting abuse in
Your own home.  You will find comfort here, I'd help them pack too, You'll see you
GC again your daughter has a long way to go with that crazyish boyfriend she'll need
you again. Blessings we all hav e stories about what we tolerate for GC.

fantine

Quote from: Pooh on February 28, 2014, 10:01:17 AM
People that are that disrespectful, family or not, are not deserving of your time.  Yes, the GC issue stinks and I get so tired of hearing how the GC are used as weapons, but that speaks of her behavior, not yours.

Pooh, as always, you are on the mark. Thanks for the reminders. Seems like no matter how often I hear it, the message never gets old or loses its punch.

Thanks again and welcome to our newbie. :)