March 28, 2024, 02:29:38 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looking for ....

Started by jdtm, March 10, 2014, 07:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtm

It has been a long and difficult winter in my corner of the world.  The days have been long and dark.  Many friends and family have passed away this winter.  My health and that of my husband is good; however, I feel so blue.  I know that I have so much and I am grateful; however, I feel so blue.  So many need our care and attention; however, I just want to be left "alone".  I feel that we are the "givers" while friends and family are the "takers" (and this is not their fault).  But, we are "worn out".  A holiday is out of the question - I guess I just need to vent.  Perhaps after Lent and Easter comes ....

Pooh

Hang in there jdtm.  Warmer days of sunshine are looming and the weather is starting to warm some.  Do something for yourself and let others fend for themselves for while.  The power of "no" works wonders.  :)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Hi J - My heart goes out to you probably because I think I know that place. My guess is that we all get there by different routes and the ways out when we find them are probably pretty varied, too. I just turned 87 yesterday and since my husband died a year ago...I've found a way for me. I had to get away from myself which is no easy trick. I do it walking. I started slowly and on short jaunts...and now it's three miles a day (usually) at a good clip. I picked a tune to sing (silently) to keep my mind busy and I make up lyrics that aren't lyrical that are full of thanks and gratitude about this and that. Sometimes when I leave the house, I don't think I have it in me...and promise myself an early  turnaround if needed...but it never is. What happens is that I breath deeper without thinking about it...get more oxygen into my blood and fill myself with endorphins. When I get home it looks and feels like the world has changed. Sending love...

When I get home...and it never fails...the world hasn't changed but my perspective has. It's an inside job.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Stilllearning

Exercise is supposed to be better than anti-depressants for the blues.  However if the snow is too deep just wade out and hug a tree.  I find hugging something that stands so tall and strong, bends with the winds and has persevered all that mother nature has thrown at it calms me and gives me the strength I need to keep on going. 

If that does not work I recommend recycling therapy.  Our recycling center has big containers for the glass (really big containers like box cars with roofs) and sometimes I deliver my glass at high velocities.  Feels great when I have extra emotions I need to vent. LOL
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

Pen

My condolences on your losses, Jdtm. You've had a rough go, no doubt about it.

You've probably already thought of this, but many of my friends with Season Affective Disorder (SAD) in the winter months use light boxes that mimic outdoor light. It seems to help. Exercise is a great idea, too. (((Hugs)))
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

jdtm

Thanks so much, ladies.  I guess I was "looking for" - support and understanding. This is a great site!

Luise - I do walk every day, but perhaps, I need an afternoon stroll as well.  And thanks for understanding.
Pooh - You're right - "no" is a word that I need to use oftener (it's the guilt I struggle with).
Stilllearning - Hugging something stronger is a good idea (think I'll choose my husband).
Pen - Thanks for acknowledging our losses - I do forget that I am grieving.