April 18, 2024, 01:27:01 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

been a while

Started by firelight, October 19, 2013, 03:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freespirit

Yes, I can understand that it might seem like yesterday.  I think no matter what kind of relationship between a parent and an adult child is, I'm sure, the worst and most unnatural thing that can happen is when the child passes on first.

Sending love...and I think we are all here, in a way, your children seeking a protective wing.
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
            -- Michel de Montaigne

luise.volta

What a lovely analogy...thank you. At this non-profit retirement center, www.warmbeach.org , volunteerism is rampant. I think being useful is vital to those well into the aging process. I was very active here until Val needed me as his full time caregiver. After that, we were both confined. My salvation was the opportunity my youngest son gave me by offering to become my Webmaster on two websites; first, www.MomResponds.com...then www.WiseWomenUnite.com evolved out of that. Val died (at age 101) eight months ago...and it is wonderful to be surrounded by my 'kids' and still feel useful.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

firelight

yes, I have to agree that losing a child would be the worst scenario. 

Working with seniors who have lost their children shows me that time doesn't always heal all wounds.  How ironic, luise, that I originally posted on your deceased child's birthday. (I'm sorry  :(  ) 

Grieving is really lonely business I am finding.  I hate it.  Some days I cope OK and have good days and other days not so OK.  The worst part is the "ambush" when something unexpected triggers a memory....even though it's never completely off my mind.  My husband had to witness the first of the worst of the gut wrenching tears and cries.  Now I try to spare him of that but they still come.  It was a bad scene to find my mom like we did and it sticks in my mind.  It's all so surreal.

I never knew there were so many grieving people in the world until I was forced to join them.  I find the people who help me the most are the ones who have been there.  Kind of like this site.  Thank you all.
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

firelight

I'm so thankful for your site(s), luise.  They have helped so many.  It's been a gift.  YOU are a gift to me (us).
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb