March 28, 2024, 02:59:28 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

DD and Signicant Other took GD away

Started by devastated grandma, October 05, 2013, 07:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devastated grandma

October 05, 2013, 07:15:23 PM Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:41:03 PM by luise.volta
My DD and her significant other of only 6 months have cut me off from the light of.my life. I have been completely severed from the.6 year old who shares the same.love for me. This is only hurting people. There is no.other reason except her SO is a manipulating and controlling person who has alienated my DD from all friends and family. I am not only sad but very angry. Grandparents should have more rights.

luise.volta

October 05, 2013, 07:39:44 PM #1 Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:42:11 PM by luise.volta
Welcome and please read the three posts we have for you as a new member. Go to our HomePage.They under Read Me First
Be sure to carefully read the Forum Agreement to be sure it's a fit for you.

Your post has been modified to help protect your anonymity. It is too easy for others to track us here and make things worse.

I will respond later. I am down with the flu. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Welcome, DG. I know Luise will have some words of great wisdom for you when she returns. In the meantime, take some comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone. Reading some of the posts from months and years past will give you a feeling of what others have done in a similar situation.

Unfortunately, we cannot change other people, only our reactions to them. Spending your life in anger and sadness is not going to affect your DD's SO one tiny bit. Living your best life (whatever that means to you such as hobbies, travel, work, interests, volunteering, etc.) might be a good, non-verbal example to your DD when she does interact with you in the future. (She has to make the decision that her relationship is dysfunctional; your vocal input regarding that may backfire on you.) Is your GC in danger? If not, her parents have the last word, sadly. (((hugs to you )))

Many GMs here start scrapbooks for their GC as a way to make sure they will eventually know how much their GPs loved them through the years. Perhaps this is an option for you.

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Welcome.  Yes it stinks!  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and am still wearing it.  The hardest thing is to also understand, no matter what the SO is or isn't doing, DD is going along with it.  She is an adult and making her own choices and sadly, it is their choice to make.

Was there a particular instance, argument or something that led to this?  Or just out of the blue?  Trust me, I know that there doesn't have to be this final blow-up, never had one myself, but just curious if they are giving you any reasons.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

devastated grandma

Thank you for the replies friends.

The first 2 years of motherhood were my DD was still stuck in the party mode. She was 19 when she had my GD. I supported here on a revolving door basis, but the last time she came in I put a rule that she goes out once a week, leaving her with me. She agreed but was out 6 out of 7 nights leaving my GD with all sorts of random people while she went out late late into the night. I did ask her to go, expressed I don't want custody but she could leave GD with me so she can go get it out of her system. She was offended, took her child and left. A year later, first steady job, relationship & car.. she admitted the tough love was the best thing I did for her.
When GD was 4, DD was partying less, but things took a terrible turn when her and her live-in SO (at the time) decided to take someone in that needed a crash pad. My DD started going out and left GD with this boy who was 17. He sexually abused my GD and I was the one who figured out what was going on. We all went thru counseling but obviously after that safety is always a bit more "slap-happy" of a subject.
Her newest live-in relationship with current SO is under 8 months old. SO insists GD calls her mom and the "new grandma" her mother be called GM. I also have reason to believe their is child abuse, mental and physical from SO but I have no evidence.

The SO has been chipping away at my DD and has cut all person's off and my GD and I are very sad because we are so in love.
I am accused of being judgmental, overbearing and interfering.

I have never been so disappointed in ALL my life. I also raised my 2 DD's as a single-parent and although who is perfect I did a darn good job. I will never understand.

I am only completely at peace when I am asleep.

:(

Pooh

Well, I'm all for interfering when there has been abuse in the past and possibly more abuse.  The down side is when a grandparent does get involved in trying to protect the child, it is normally at the expense of the relationship.  I am the type that safety comes first but not everyone feels that way.  Since GD is 6, is she in school now?  The reason I am asking is that maybe you could contact the counselor at the school and make them aware of what is going on.  Let them know that you can't prove it, but alert them to watch for signs themselves and the past behavior of DD.  A good counselor will speak to the teacher and make them aware, confidentially so that the teacher can watch as well.  They are trained and supposed to be watching all children for signs, but maybe a little push will get GD some extra observation.

Just with the past abuse, even if there is nothing going on now, GD may still have some difficulties in school that the teacher/counselor may be able to help her through.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

devastated grandma

Thank you .. I have just discussed the school route with one of my best friends just yesterday. I appreciate the extra added assurance.as well as the support.
I have also been to a natural vitamin store and acquired some calming elixirs to help with the edginess of this emotional rollercoaster.
  >:(  :(

devastated grandma

I see her in my dreams and wake up missing her.
I would give anything just to talk on the phone.

GRANDMA MISSES YOU!

firelight

My heart is breaking for you, devastated, and know you are not alone at all.  You've found a fantastic place here where most feel your pain. 

I have had a season myself where I had to call CPS (child protective services) on my own flesh and blood.  It was the most painful thing I've ever done and I bawled the whole way through it, even on the phone with them.  I am glad that part of my life is over and it does cost a relationship .....at first.   Things are better now and at least I can see my grands, but it took a hot minute. 

I like the school idea if you really have to as a last resort.  Of course, notifying any legal authority is a last resort. 

I don't know why your DD would make these choices to leave GD with perfect strangers or give her SO of such a short period such control over her life, but it is what it is.  We just cannot wrap our minds around what others choose to do sometimes, I know this first hand. 

I am wishing all the best for you in this situation and for the safety of your sweet GD.  I hope that, in time, it will pass over.  Sometimes when younger people are going through their own junk, they just don't see anyone but themselves, even at the expense of their child.  I was a different kind of mom so that blows me away, but it happens quite a bit.  My heart breaks with yours today because I have been there. 
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

devastated grandma

Thank you so much! It has been a bit rougher since I was on here last. My youngest DD and I were in a serious car wreck and we were t.boned and flipped three or four times. My estranged DD did show up in e.r. but was cold.. did notcome to my side..in view until iI requested her to. She brought the SO which I did not like and unfortjneatly voiced it and now my DD still wont let me have any contact. W e are injured and in the process of figuring everythkng out. I would like to see my GD now but she wont budge. She is cold  hearted and I dont even know who she isanymore.
I feel most sorry for my  GD.
:'(

Pen

So sorry to hear of your accident, DG. Take care of yourself, try to let the other stuff go for right now.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

We're all in your corner! Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

firelight

Sometimes I don't think we'd fight so hard to save a relationship if it weren't for the little ones involved.  My SIL's aunt tells me she knows he and my DD lie much to her but the aunt says she says nothing about their lies or behavior because she doesn't want them to withhold my GD from her.  (GD visits SIL's aunt quite a bit)

I see her point and have "tried" that route myself.  I find it harder for me than it must be for her when it comes to calling out someone on their lies and behavior.  I am practicing it but spoke my mind once again just the other day...  it's as if I can't help myself as her mother when I'm lied to and get offended by it.  We (DD & I) have patched things up once again in a matter of a few days, but when it comes to my own AC I just blurt out what I feel about it when I'm lied to or feel used.  I initiate the patching up so I can see the grands.  I wish I had an answer for you on how to handle it, but I'm still growing myself.  Sometimes I wish I could be more like my SIL's aunt and just keep quiet about it and concentrate on seeing my GC and forget the rest.  Way easier said than done!   :-X 

I hope things get better for you in time.

Best wishes for healing from the car accident.  How scary!
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

DixieDarling

firelight, It sounds like you've really had a hard time also. I'm sorry! Are things still going good now? Do you get to see the grandchildren often?
DG, I do hope you are healing from your car accident? So glad you're ok.