March 28, 2024, 12:55:16 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Christmas gift thoughts

Started by Kate, October 29, 2013, 02:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

What would you like for Christmas?  I guess most of us would want our relationships with the people we love to be mended, but that is not something that we can be given.

My DIL being still fairly new to the whole Christmas thing is determined to give us something,  even though we have told her that the joy of having her as part of our family is gift enough.  Gift giving is also complicated by the fact that she will have to either bring it with her from interstate,  together with GS, or mail it. I also dont want them to spend a lot of money as with a new baby money is tight. Photos are welcome, but shelf space is limited.

I really don't need or particularly want a physical gift. Any ideas on something small that would make her happy and wouldn't clutter up our already full house?

Stilllearning

Everyone has their own ideas about how much money is too much......

How about a digital picture frame loaded with pictures of her family?  They can be bought for around $50 and one frame can hold lots of pictures.  We got one for my MIL a few years back and she loved it!!  One other thing I got for my parents/ ILs was a lighted magnifying glass.  I got one for myself at the same time and I have found it to be exceedingly useful!  The older I get, the more I use it!  Mine is a floor lamp model but they make them in table lamps or hand held models.  Just a thought....

Also, I have found the new silicone hot pads to be exceedingly useful!  They do not get dirty like the old cloth ones do and when they do get soiled you just run them through the dishwasher.  Those cost under $10 (we got ours on sale 2 for $5). 
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

luise.volta

I live in a 400 sq. ft. studio and literally something has to go out the door to our thrift store every time I bring anything in...clothes included. I am also incredibly opinionated (it's been rumored), so my tastes are both eclectic and capricious. LOL! My loving extended family has solved this by taking me out to eat or bringing me treats. In other words, I eat all of my gifts!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Love the gift certificate for dining out idea. We used to have a client who gave us pretty substantial gift cards to a place we probably wouldn't have tried had he not been so generous. It was wonderful! And nothing left to clutter up the house, lol, just "body clutter."
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb