March 28, 2024, 10:50:36 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Haven't posted in awhile - update

Started by PatiencePlease, July 02, 2013, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatiencePlease

First of all, I am SO grateful I found this place at a time when my son was putting me through the darkest period of my life (worse than my husband's midlife crisis -- and that's saying a lot.)

I haven't been here in quite a while but please know I have never EVER forgotten the support I received here.  It was invaluable.

My son has been respectful for quite some time.  His job opportunities have not been promising for a very long time due to his lack of skills and education.  He graduated high school, but after several attempts did not complete college.  He has decided to join the Navy and at the ripe old age of 25 he's on his way to boot camp tomorrow. 

I am so grateful his life's direction brought him to the Navy recruiting office.  He has the opportunity to gain a lifelong skill and during this time he has also recognized the importance of family.

I've come to accept his timeline.  It had nothing to do with my expectations.  I've learned to be patient (hence, the name) and accepting (and cautious) of what unfolds before me.

I felt the need to share this with all of you simply because I wanted to show my gratitude to this forum and those who visit here for your support and guidance.  And for those who are hurting, don't give up hope.  Please know you are stronger than you realize.  Honest. 

Thank you for your taking the time to read this.  Please know you have and continue to be a blessing to me as I continue to learn additional lessons in mothering. 

A sidenote:  I laugh at my naiveté --- At the time my kids were babies I truly believed all parental worrying would come to an end when the kids were all grown up at 18.   Ignorance is bliss?  Right??  haha

((((Hugs))))) to you all ~

luise.volta

Wonderful to hear from you and to hear about the progress you see happening. I have forwarded your post to our Webmaster, my son Kirk, who created WWU and maintains it for us gratis. :-)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Great to hear from you Patience and great news about your Son.  I will be sending good thoughts his way as I know how hard boot camp was for my YS.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

PatiencePlease

Thank you again.  You ladies are the best.  :)

Pen

PP, it's good to hear your update. I agree that this site is invaluable, and Luise & Kirk have done a great thing by keeping this going for all of us. It couldn't happen without all the support and input we all get from everyone who posts here, though!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Yup, Kirk and I designed another Web-forum, www.AgingWithWisdom.com, that we had to shut down due to lack of interest. End of life issues just aren't popular where denial is often the operative word. Pen is right, we facilitate but/and you guys are WWU! Also, many of you have come over from my counseling Website, WWW.MomResponds.com, now in it's 8th year and going strong. :-) WWU grew out of that after I realized my most often asked questions were about adult children and extended families. I soon got that a single answer wasn't the way to go...what was needed was community and dialogue. What a blessing you all are!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

PatiencePlease

Oh wow!  I didn't know about the other websites.  Luise, you are a gift that keeps on giving!!

I may have another issue with my son but it's too soon to tell.  He lived out of state and had a girlfriend who is now storing his stuff from his apt. he just gave up.  He is sending his personal belongings from boot camp to her house.  This means the form letter with the graduation information is going to her house too.  I've decided to send her a card with a self-addressed stamped envelope asking her to forward a copy to us when she gets it.  If she doesn't do it, you can be sure I'll be posting again.  haha

Thanks again for your support.  Happy July 4th everyone. :)