April 25, 2024, 02:15:13 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Mother's Day

Started by orangeblossom, May 12, 2013, 06:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeblossom

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers who will be alone like me.  I am new to this group and in hopes that it will help me understand my why my only son doesn't have time for me since he has gotten married and has a family.  I am trying to take the advice of my doctor and realize that he has a family now and evidently I am not part of it!  However, as I am sure all of you in this situation know, it does hurt!  Have a great day!   :(

jdtm

Dear organeblossom - I know the hurt of which you speak.  And, I think it is harder for those of us with sons to be a part of "their" family than those with daughters.  I have two sons so I realize that this opinion is biased.  But I am blessed as one of our daughters-in-law makes sure that I am included (as well as my husband) and we are so grateful for this recognition as we know it is, unfortunately, rare.

Nonetheless, it is hard to be "happy" on Mother's Day when one's heart is breaking.  Cry a bit and then treat yourself - chocolate or a fast food dinner (I found that the nicer restaurants were too full of "happy" families) or even a nice walk in a local park.  Read a good book (make sure it is not an emotional one - perhaps a mystery) - whatever.  Be kind to yourself.  Take a long nap.

By the way, the one son who neglected me (and my husband for over a decade) is now back in the family.  His wife abandoned her children and left her husband a few years ago.  Not that I wish this for your son; just to let you know that things do change as time marches on.  I do hope you get to see your son and grandchildren from time to time as this is a great blessing (some on this board are estranged, totally).  Take care and know that many here understand and care ....

lassielee

I too will be alone. 1 daughter has not spoke to me in over 2 years. and the other for 1 year. I have 6 grand kids between them.  3 of my grandchildren have lived with me off and on their entire life.  I hate the holidays,,, especially  Christmas and Mothers day... Use to be such a blessed event. Now just alone and sad.  I never thought would turn out this way sometimes to much to bear.  It is my grandkids that has broken my heart.  I know they can be kept from me and have been,,, but I will always know they love me. I know they are suffering from missing me as much as I am.  What a selfish thing to do children.   Life sucks.  Ready for Mothers day to be over.

luise.volta

There are so many of us that this year we put together the "First Annual WWU Fantasy Mother's Day Cruise." If you would like to, please join us. Just come over to our Grab Bag category and log on to the post. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Keys Girl

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

KG
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Pen

Happy Mother's Day to you too, KG, and to all WWU. Happy WWU birthday  :D

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

orangeblossom

Thank you all for the Mother's Day wishes!  My son did call and wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  At least this year he didn't tell me he had a card and would put it in the mail (which never got mailed much less received).  I was ugly and didn't wish daughter in law a happy Mother's Day as she never even thanks me for anything much less says hello!!  I am sure others have to deal the same types of things from daughter in laws.  I was never that kind of daughter in law and just don't understand it.  Have a great day!  Thanks for encouragement!

Lillycache

Welcome OB..  yep.. there are lots of us here in that situation.   I got a call from DS also..  Supposedly he is bringing the kids over to see me and deliver tha cards the cards they  made for me.   Don't look for me holding my breath this time..  As for DIL..  I haven't spoken to her for 3 years..  It's been wonderful..   ;)

Pooh

Chins up ladies!  Someone decided, a long time ago, that there should be a day to officially honor Mothers.  Psssshhh.....we all KNOW that we should be honored every day! :)

I got a cute fb message and a phone call from YS.  A sweet message on fb from DIL and I took my Mother and Father out to eat for lunch.  Sent a big bag of goodies to my MIL, via DH on his way to work and then called my SM last night.

My DH bought me a Keurig coffee machine and a bunch of flavors for a gift and I spent the rest of the evening trying a couple of flavors and watching a Harry Potter movie I hadn't seen...I'm such a geek.

Nothing from OS, but didn't expect it and honestly, this year it didn't bother me.  I read back on what all I did get and do for Mother's day and I count 7 other people that love and appreciate me.  Winning!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell