March 28, 2024, 03:32:51 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Chinese Parents Can Sue Their Children If They Don't Visit Enough....Seriously

Started by Keys Girl, April 06, 2013, 04:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keys Girl

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

luise.volta

Probably not in a country where children can divorce their parents!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Lillycache

It doesn't sound odd if you look at traditional Chinese culture.  There is NO  Social Security and no saving through 401Ks for retirement.  People depend on their grown son for care and support in their old age.  Women in the Chinese culture leave their families and are responsible for the bulk of the care of her husband's parents.   In addition, limits on families restrict people to having only one child.  This is why baby girls are abandoned and it is boys are most valued... they ARE the Social Security plan.   SO.. If an elderly couple who has expected to be cared for by their grown son.. AND society ALSO expects this son to care for his parents.. and he doesn't.. I can understand giving these seniors the right to sue for it.   What other choices do they have?    It seems very odd and horrible to US... but if you were raised in that culture it would seem reasonable.   

It kind of makes one wonder.... if baby girls are abandoned or aborted... who are all those boys marrying?? 

confusedbyinlaws

I certainly wouldn't want my children in my life if I had to take them to court and force them to be in my life!