April 25, 2024, 08:08:17 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I hate holidays!

Started by tryingmybest, March 31, 2013, 07:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

Quote from: Keys Girl on April 02, 2013, 01:59:16 PM
Scoop, good for you for not expecting anyone to pick up the tab for anything.  I'm sure half the parents in this generation wish they had adult children with that independent attitude.

KG

Keys Girl - it always SHOCKS me to hear about adults mooching off their parents!  Okay, to be fair, my parents did put me through school, because education was considered super-important.  However, since then, I've been on my own.  When we were young and struggling, my parents would take us out for dinner and we appreciated it.  Now that my Mom is on a fixed income, we take HER out for dinner!  But sometimes, it's hard for her to accept for us to pay.  I have to confess that sometimes we trick her and lie to her, like the time we got her 4 new tires, but only gave her the bill for 2.

I don't understand how a grown person could accept having their parents pay their bills, or rent, or whatever.  Where is their personal pride?

Didi.lost

And I'm coming on that cruise with you girls.  That would be the best time EVER.......

nikncon

Count me in.Let me k ow when and where.:)))

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Keys Girl

Quote from: Scoop on April 03, 2013, 06:12:11 AM
Quote from: Keys Girl on April 02, 2013, 01:59:16 PM
Scoop, good for you for not expecting anyone to pick up the tab for anything.  I'm sure half the parents in this generation wish they had adult children with that independent attitude.

KG
I don't understand how a grown person could accept having their parents pay their bills, or rent, or whatever.  Where is their personal pride?

Scoop, I don't know that they have ever embraced that concept, otherwise they would scrub floors, deliver pizzas and do anything it took to pay the bills on their own and be proud of it.  I know I did, but I'm now part of the "older" generation.

KG
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

FAFE

OK, I'm leaving town Sat morning, so y'all decide where you want to go and what cruise line - I would not recommend you know who, but if the itinerary looks good, then I'm in.  Hope it will be somewhere warm with lots and lots of cabana boys running around waiting on us, and the wine and champagne flowing.  If you'd rather have the DOD (drink of the day), coffee or tea that's fine too.  So, get started...

luise.volta

It would have to be an imaginary cruise for me to go. Anyone up for that, or are you serious?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

FAFE

Luise, it is a Mother's Day cruise in our heads.  No children allowed! 

luise.volta

That's what I thought...but it sounded like it was getting serious!  :D :D :D

nikncon

It could be:))) Winter 2014.???

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

FAFE

Winter 2014 sounds good too.  We are actually going on a Baltic cruise in June!  Will take you all with me, but let's get the Mother's Day (in our head) started.

luise.volta

I would recommend cruising the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington but I couldn't afford to go.

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/columbia-snake-river-cruise/deckplans

freespirit

I found the more I gave my sons, the less thankful they were. I didn't expect them to crawl on their knees and kiss my feet, but a little more ...compassion...would have been nice.

My mother gave me a sum of money in her old days. I was so thankful, for it truly helped us out. Although she didn't expect it, I showed her my thankfulness with so many things, and I told  her that over and over again.

I never got more than a quipped "thanks" from my sons. There were times, when their needs set us back ...way back financially. I remember one year, after I had helped out our youngest son,..he didn't even call me on mother's day. That taught me a lesson.
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
            -- Michel de Montaigne