March 28, 2024, 11:31:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

SAD GRANDMA

Started by NancyH, January 15, 2013, 11:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NancyH

I am heart broken, I have a Granddaughter, my Daughter  was living with me since for ever then she got pregnant and had my Granddaughter. well I always been there for them always helping them, well a month ago they move out it wasn't easy for me because i was going to missed my Granddaughter. but they move like 20 min away so it not that bad, i get to see her every other weekend, but my daughter is been dating this guy for a while now. well he is moving to NY and my Daughter just told me she is moving too. I cant stop crying my heart is broken just to think that i can't see my Granddaughter like before. I have no idea how to deal with this feeling just thinking that she is going to live with his parents and i will not get to see my Granddaughter grow up. since i live in AZ. I cant stop crying.  :(

Pooh

Welcome Nancy.  If you haven't yet, please take a moment to read the articles under "Open Me First".  They are the rules for the forum and will give you the information on how the forum works.  Nothing wrong with your post, we ask all new members to do this.

I'm very sorry.  It is so hard to let our AC and GC go and expecially when they are moving far away.  It sounds like you and your DD get along well so hopefully you can go visit some.  Also, today with all the technology like Skype where you can see your GD from a distance, it really helps if your DD is willing to allow that.

I do understand.  I am facing something similiar in a few months.  My DIL and GS live with me while my DS is deployed.  When he returns, they will be returning to his home base 14 hours away from me and I know that it will be very hard after spending all this time with them.  I also know that they will keep in touch, there will be visits and skype.  It's hard, but they are moving on to live their lives.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

P.S.

I moved your post to the GC category where more people will see it.  Open Me First is for the rules and such.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Faith

Dear Nancy,

This is so very hard for you to bear. I do hope it will be possible for you and your daughter to visit each other.

As Pooh said, Skype is a good way to keep in touch. It is free and you can see each other while you talk.

Maybe if you set up a regular time every day to connect, you will feel a little better being able to talk to your grandaughter and daughter.

Nothing is for ever. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they find New York is too cold and overwhelming, once the novelty has worn off. I reckon they will be back before too long.

Your daughter will probably get homesick too. Your grandaughter will love receiving letters and postcards from you, she will be able to collect them.

Your daughter needs to spread her wings for a while. Try to let her go for now with a loving heart.

Pen

Welcome, Nancy. I'm very glad you found us. As you have already discovered, you are not alone. I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you find some comfort and good strategies to help you move past the deep pain of missing your DD & GD. Please keep reading & posting.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

NancyH

Thank you so much for the support and yes indeed I will missed them  dearly.  Like you ladies say i have to let go of them to do their own life. I will set  up a time a  day to speak to them.  the postcard is a great Idea. thank again so much.

Nancy